Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35942  
Subject: Hardware upgrade Date: 10/6/2012 12:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was thinking back today to my teens and early 20s, when I was always tinkering and knew this stuff cold. Now I'm in my early 30s, and despite being a firmware and software developer time has passed me by and I'm not up to speed on the way the latest and greatest tech works. Kind of sad really...

Anyway, a few weeks ago I asked about upgrading my RAM and got some good advice. Since then I've been thinking that instead of getting 16GB, I might save some cash and get 8GB and combine it with my existing 4GB.

My motherboard's specs say that I have 4 DDR3 slots, dual channel. So if I pay attention to which slot is which, it should be no problem to put in a pair of identical 4GB sticka and a pair of identical 2GB sticks, right?

Second, I'm considering a graphics card upgrade as well. My motherboard has 2 PCI Express 2.0 slots, and it says with one card it's 16x and with 2 cards 8x. I'm not if that's always the case or if it could be considered a limitation. Do good quality mobos have multiple PCI Express busses so you can have multiple cards at full speed?

I have never tried an SLI setup, but I was thinking that instead of buying a new video card (currently I have a GTX 460 768MB card), maybe I should get another card on the cheap end and SLI them. But I have no idea whether this is a good idea, or what limitation or requirements there are. It seems the GPU needs to be the same (another GTX460, if I can find one) but not the manufacturer? Is the fact that my PCI Express bus would be split between the cards a problem? Anyone have advice on this front? I realize I'll need to check to make sure my power supply can handle another card as well...

Thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement