Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Has anyone got any sort of feel how a stop loss order - at say 15% - would affect things ? What sort of swings do BI stocks experience in a given year ? From a cursory look at last year, MO had maybe a 10% down draft and JPM was all over the place. Or would I me "messing with the system" and break it ?

Well, I've tried buying and holding and it doesn't work. Then I read Van K. Tharp's book _Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom_.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-7682348-0809643

He uses a lot of back testing to prove his point. Money Management is much more important than stock selection. So, BI is just another stock selection method. However, I use money management to protect myself from catastrophic and hard-to-recover losses. It seems to work well for me, but then I'm just providing anecdotal evidence not back tested evidence for BI/Tharp.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement