UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 4:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
It seems that since I started posting to this board I have gotten a lot more junk mail at the email addy I use for the Fool dealing with ways to handle my debt. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

As if I would pay someone to help with debt, especially after following this board

Wolfshead
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lemongirl One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92156 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 4:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Yes! I think I get at least one a day. Interesting isn't it?

Lemongirl

Author: 2Serious4Foolish Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92171 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 5:26 PM
Recommendations: 0
I have a spam filter with my ISP, but I have gotten unwanted email just the same. Not just related to this board either.

Irina

Author: vsqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92174 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 5:36 PM
<<Yes! I think I get at least one a day. Interesting isn't it?

Lemongirl >>

You only get ONE??? I have at leat 10 in my mailbox each morning I sign on. I just delete, delete, delete.

Wendy

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92180 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 6:38 PM
Me too. The funny thing is I have no consumer debt and I finished paying off my student loans on an accelerated basis back in May. I hang here to keep myself in line and to hear the great stories and advice from all the other posters, as well as offer my .02 if I feel I have something useful to say.

Donna

Author: devbost One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92183 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 7:08 PM
I recommend using spamcop.net to report the spammers to the ISPs that may unwittingly be hosting their operation. Most ISPs have a policy against it, and reporting the spammers helps the ISPs enforce this. Unfortunately, this doesn't stop the spammers from setting up shop somewhere else, but it does make their lives more difficult.

-Devin

Author: fredinseoul Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92185 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 7:36 PM
Are you clicking on the banners? If so, you are probably getting hit that way.

I'm not getting these things. I post here quite a bit, so I don't think it is only your posting.

It is interesting though.

fredinseoul

Author: dbleze One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92187 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 7:51 PM

Wolfshead 56 indicated:
It seems that since I started posting to this board I have gotten a lot more junk mail at the email addy I use for the Fool dealing with ways to handle my debt. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

-In my case I have not noticed any increase in junk email based on my being on the Motley Fools board. But I also do not get much junk mail either, so I guess I'm just lucky.

dbleze

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92191 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 8:25 PM

Greetings, Wolfshead, sadly it is not just you. I have noticed the same thing and I do NOT appreciate it.

Anybody have any ideas on how to stem the tide of junk email? I wonder if there is a way that Motley Fool can make our email addresses more secure.

Thanks,
xraymd

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92192 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 8:33 PM
I've been posting on this board for close to two years. I have yet to receive a single piece (at least that I can recall, anyway) of junk e-mail regarding debt.

Perhaps it's coming from some other discussion forum you participate in? Maybe your e-mail provider is selling your address for extra revenue. Just some thoughts. I really don't think is the Fool.

--Peter

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92201 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 10:12 PM
Very rarely click banners. Just thought it was curious because I use a Yahoo address and it filters mail into a bulk mail folder and until I started posting on this board I got something in there about once every two weeks and it could be any kind of ad. Now it seems I'm getting about a letter a day in the junk mail and about 90% of them deal with ridding myself of debt. Most of the other 10% deal with accepting gredit cards which started coming in after I started posting on Ebay. Just thought it curious since these are the only two places I use this mail addy and those are the only two kinds of junk mail I have been getting lately.

Wolfshead

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92202 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/26/2001 10:17 PM
Not blaming the Fool for this I want people to understand. Just kind of wondering if there is some lurking going on in which people who provide these services are watching these boards and collecting addresses. Since I'm not shy in my profile (I once held yearly picnics for denizens of an AOL chatroom so my name and address got posted about quite a bit) I'm sure my addy would be a lot easier to obtain than some other peoples.

Wolfshead

Author: cheerye Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92210 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/27/2001 12:04 AM
YES!!. I am getting all kind of junk!

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92237 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/27/2001 9:45 AM
I have not noticed an increase either.

Catleen

Author: Backfisch Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92332 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/27/2001 5:19 PM
Hi,

in the past few months I have received offers to "eliminate debt." Since I do not have any debt,I was puzzled. The only places I lurk are on the fool's credit card board, LBYM and Retire Early boards.

Author: eachna Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92365 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/27/2001 8:58 PM
I get a significant amount of "debt" related spam. It started trickling in when I first started searching online for information on debt reduction. It became a regular stream after being part of the Fool community.

However, I also get alot of 'adult' spam. Everything from XXX sites, to how to increase the "size" of body parts I don't actually possess (being female). I don't cruise adult sites on the side.

So, I expect some spam comes from my name being sold by related sites, and some just comes from general harvesting out in the web world.

Gwen

Author: EPhule One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92397 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/28/2001 9:29 AM
I get a significant amount of "debt" related spam. It started trickling in when I first started searching online for information on debt reduction. It
became a regular stream after being part of the Fool community.

I have several e-mail accounts. I get absolutely no spam in the account that I gave to the MF.

Eric

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92422 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/28/2001 11:45 AM
I get a significant amount of "debt" related spam. It started trickling in when I first started searching online for information on debt reduction. It became a regular stream after being part of the Fool community.

I have several e-mail accounts. I get absolutely no spam in the account that I gave to the MF.

Greetings, it has occurred to me that those of us who have started receiving loads of spam after being on The Motley Fool boards may have web-based email addresses perhaps connected to our userids that a dedicated spammer could easily generate. At least this is true for me to some degree (I am on hotmail). Maybe it is worth an experiment - opening a second Motley Fool ID and connecting it to a non-web-based email account which has an email address dissimilar from the new Motley Fool ID. Try to read the boards for a short while in parallel on both accounts and measure the degree and type of spam activity. Or could some informed official Fool just confirm for us if this is the case?

xraymd

Author: ClubJuggle Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92423 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/28/2001 11:51 AM
.i>Greetings, it has occurred to me that those of us who have started receiving loads of spam after being on The Motley Fool boards may have web-based email addresses perhaps connected to our userids that a dedicated spammer could easily generate. At least this is true for me to some degree (I am on hotmail). Maybe it is worth an experiment - opening a second Motley Fool ID and connecting it to a non-web-based email account which has an email address dissimilar from the new Motley Fool ID. Try to read the boards for a short while in parallel on both accounts and measure the degree and type of spam activity. Or could some informed official Fool just confirm for us if this is the case?

FWIW I have never been spammed related to anything I posted on TMF until I posted a message in which I included my email address (and actually, it was not the email address I had registered, but a different one). Not long after that I started receiving spam at the address I had included in the pos, indicating that someone is "harvesting" email addresses from the boards. Unfortunately there is nothing TMF can do to prevent this from happening.

The best advice I can give is not to include your email address in any posts.

-Terry

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92427 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/28/2001 12:00 PM
FWIW I have never been spammed related to anything I posted on TMF until I posted a message in which I included my email address (and actually, it was not the email address I had registered, but a different one). Not long after that I started receiving spam at the address I had included in the pos, indicating that someone is "harvesting" email addresses from the boards. Unfortunately there is nothing TMF can do to prevent this from happening.

The best advice I can give is not to include your email address in any posts.

Greetings, I totally agree with not posting an email address in any post - that's like an open dare to these spammers. Knowing this, I have not ever put my email address directly into a post yet I am still spammed mercilessly on my hotmail account with all kinds of shady invitations for debt-reduction schemes. If I had a private ISP allowing a more obscure email address than hotmail, I would create a second account to see whether the new account could avoid being junkbombed. If anyone does try this, please let us know your results. Thanks!

xraymd

Author: Belgoboy Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92565 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/28/2001 9:09 PM
Same here. I totally agreed and for some reason just realized it could be because of this board.But such is life.

Author: jekkel One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92694 of 308782
Subject: Re: has anyone noticed ... Date: 9/30/2001 8:46 PM
>>I have several e-mail accounts. I get absolutely no spam in the account that I gave to the MF.

Eric <<

Interesting...

Conversely, I get gobs of junk 'get out of debt' spam in the account I use ONLY for TMF.

-jekkel

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement