UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35361  
Subject: Re: Yield-Math Madness Date: 6/20/2006 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Has anything changed significantly? The yield an investor obtains has increased slightly, but not the need to make choices as to how to calculate yields, which was my intended point.

Nope, thats all I saw. Otherwise your math stands.

Although I'll note that you calculate APY for the 183 day scenario (at 5.30%), yet the 5.26% 182-day scenario is APR (thats what the treasury advertises, as we know). So that seems like a little bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

The 182-day yield is 5.33%. Which is a little higher, as it should be. So it seems YIELDDISC is really calculating rate.

FYI, I think I would prefer the 'actual/actual' Excel calculation, as that probably takes into account leap years - I assume in the financial world yields are slightly adjusted on leap years, yes? Or no, is that ignored?

For Wendy, here's the calculation for treasuries (and any other bond, I think):

Return/Price => actual return (lets say 1.025 for our example)

To annualize on an APR basis, take the fraction part (i.e. subtract 1) to get 0.025 and multiply by days-in-year/days-for-bond.

In the case of 365/182, times 0.025, would be 0.0501... or 5.01%

To annualize on an APY basis, take the full return above (1.025) and raise it to the power of days-in-year/days-for-bond.

So, 1.025 ^ (365/182) = 1.0508... or 5.08%

I made a mistake that shouldn't have been made, but it amounts to a bug, rather than a fatal flaw to the program. I make a ton of mistakes: always have, always will. But, hopefully, I get enough of the big stuff right. :-/

Yeah, we're talking about just a few 'beeps' here and there.

That is serious money for short-term, high quality paper. If the market is demanding that kind of return, they're worried, and so should you be.

Hey Charlie, care to explain? And if I should be worried, what should I do about it? My only real fixed income is for short term < 1 year things, so I'm specifically interested in that.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement