Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Has it changed much since you lived there in terms of demographics or economic health?

We were actually several blocks from my childhood home but, as I said, the commercial strip on Manhattan Avenue was where we did a lot of shopping when we lived there. I'm also very familiar with that part of Greenpoint because I had friends who lived there.

It really does appear that the population is still VERY Polish. Most of the people on the streets that we heard talking were speaking Polish. Plus, I've read that most of the children of Polish immigrants have stayed in Greenpoint and now their children are also staying. There is a bit of ethnic diversity - but not much. (When I was growing up there were some pockets of Italians and Irish but not much else.)

The economic health appears to be about the same. Mostly blue-collar workers and their families. The shopping district on Manhattan Avenue runs for several blocks and I think we only saw one empty store. (But, of course, many of the older "mom & pop" places have been replaced by Starbucks and other chains.) Rents are still considerably cheaper than in Manhattan or in Williamsburg, the adjacent Brooklyn community which has become a real artist and "yuppie" (is that word still used?)haven.

And many folks don't know that Greenpoint is only several subway stops away from Manhattan. (Although you have to transfer at least once.) I take 3 trains from my apartment in Manhattan to Greenpoint. I take the first train for 4 stops (getting off at the first stop in Queens), then transfer to a train that's actually headed towards Manhattan for 2 stops and then transfer to a third train for a couple of stops (depending on what part of Greenpoint I'm going to). I could also go down to 42nd Street and get the subway that goes out to CitiField, take that for 5 or 6 stops and then transfer to a second line for a couple of stops. (But I appreciate that commuters don't always appreciate having to make transfers, even if it is just across the platform!)

Christina
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement