UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (93) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740950  
Subject: Re: Fast and Furious - You gots to be kidding Date: 2/10/2014 12:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Have any advice

Strike while the iron is hot.

There are two types of drunks: binge and maintenance. My mother has a neighbor in her 55+ community who is a maintenance drunk. A couple of weeks ago when I was there helping Mom the neighbor asked me to take her to the store in nasty winter weather to get some wine. Who in their right mind is going to ask the neighbor's son to drive them to the store to get booze in a blizzard when the TV is telling folks to stay off the roads? A drunk, that's who.

Denial is strong in alcoholics/drug abusers. Just because he seems receptive today doesn't mean that he won't clam up tomorrow.

In therapy, we'd get guys who were given the choice "go to treatment or get kicked out of the Navy." Understandably, even though the intervention may be warranted, going anywhere under duress is not generally well-received.

How I'd get around that "I'm not an alcoholic" tirade is agree with them. "Well, you may not be. Who knows at this point, but I tell ya what, even if you aren't there's a lot of great things to learn here." Then I'd take some aspect of their life that wasn't going well, like their marriage and offer that perhaps 98% of the stuff spoken here may not apply to them, but that 2% could help them with their spouse, kids, parents, employer, or whatever. Once inside let the program work whatever magic he allows it to have on him.

I have found that the "agree, but re-direct" method to be effective to getting someone into treatment. Make treatment seem like no big deal and let's leave it up to the professionals, instead of the make-or-break item, unless that is the last resort needed. "Go to treatment or else" is best saved when all else fails. Shouldn't be your first option.

Logic doesn't usually work. Alcoholics can and will rationalize away the damnest things. Admittedly, the carrot doesn't always work, and the stick (and some tough love) is what is required.

Good luck. No easy answers. Even after treatment folks relapse all the time. Ask LuckyDog about it. She's in recovery.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (93) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement