UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Buoy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Have SEP IRA - can I get a Roth too? Date: 12/24/1999 1:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Part of the MF explanation of IRAs says,

"Annual contributions to a Roth IRA are limited to $2,000 minus the taxpayer's traditional IRA contributions."

I currently have a SEP-IRA, to which more than $2,000 is being contributed, yearly. Does that, together with the above quote, mean that I wouldn't be able to contribute to a Roth IRA?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Vesterman.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16842 of 76418
Subject: Re: Have SEP IRA - can I get a Roth too? Date: 12/24/1999 9:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Bob, and welcome. You asked:

<<"Annual contributions to a Roth IRA are limited to $2,000 minus the taxpayer's traditional IRA contributions."

I currently have a SEP-IRA, to which more than $2,000 is being contributed, yearly. Does that, together with the above quote, mean that I wouldn't be able to contribute to a Roth IRA?>>

A SEP-IRA is a retirement plan set up by the self-employed, In that sense it is not a traditional IRA. You may continue to make a contribution to both a traditional and/or a Roth IRA in addition to what you contribute to the SEP. The SEP merely limits a possible deductible contribution to a traditional IRA.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement