Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19314  
Subject: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 11:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Fools,

Are you happy where you retired to?

One thing about moving to Pennsylvania they do not tax our pension income. Yep, Yeee, no state income tax on pensions. Unless, the governor changes his mind and want to start taxing us.

The rain though. We spend some time between CA and Panama, hot, hot, etc. But at least in Panama there is a lot of rain.

We thought about Hawaii, but $$$$ need a lot of it, so we just purchase a timeshare.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17135 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3

DH retired almost 4 years ago and we stayed put in our family home of 35 years. We always thought we'd move to the foot hills in Northern California to get away from the SF Bay Area traffic and buy a new home, but life has a funny way changing your plans. When our grandson was just two years old he moved from the east coast with his parents to within a mile of our house. Our other son and DIL moved to within 10 miles all in a matter of months, so we decided to do some remodeling projects before we retired and are staying here for now.

As far as climate goes, it's very mild most of the year but I'd like to see a little more rain. We have a motor home and we try to be on the road anywhere from 2 - 3 months a year so we get to experience all kinds of climates and weather and scenery.

Utahtea

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17136 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 2

Yes, at least the first three places.

I retired in place in Washington, DC in 1997. That lasted until 1999, when I moved to Kansas to take care of my parents. In 2004 I moved back to the DC area. I'm here until all my friends decide to move away in their retirements, and then it will be time to regroup again. Chicagoland (friends) and Kansas City (family) seem the most likely candidates today, but in 5-10 years, who knows?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17137 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 5:24 PM

Love the PNW. We like rain and hate heat. We moved from the Bay Area when I retired 10 years ago because of that and because we didn't want to retire in our little tract home--couldn't, really, with the big mortgage. Our house here would have cost three times as much in the area we moved from, and there was initially a lot less crowding, although we seem to be catching up in that regard. We have a rush hour now starting at 3:30 pm that barely existed when we got here. But I still haven't found the lines at the Safeway to extend to the back of the store as I did one time at 10:00 am on a weekday in Redwood City.

--fleg

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17138 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 6:53 PM

No tax pensions in PA???Golly I live just a couple hours west. Ohio taxes everything.

I stayed put in my house, even after my DH died in 1987. I still have five dogs and it is hard to move with four or five dogs. (one is old). I have family in FL, but I don't like FL. I have family in NJ, but they will all soon be in FL. My daughters, grandchildren live 25 minutes away. All my friends are here, so I guess I will stay. I hope to stay in my house till they carry me out feet first. I don't spend a lot on traveling, so I pay people to take care of the lawn, house repairs, did a bit of renovations this spring. I love m house and property and Hudson, though expensive with high school taxes, is a lovely small city.

I just wish it would stop raining, thundering and lightening!!

Birgit

Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17139 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 7:15 PM
fun2bretired,

Love it. We looked for a place here over a 7 year period. Looked at over 200 places.

I came over here from where we were living(Plano, TX) on a weekend and knew it was the place. I was able to get my wife out to look at it 3 days later and she just looked at me with that look that told me she was all for it. We wrote the contract that day. We have lived here 6 years now.

West Texas has hot weather, dry weather, wet weather but not a lot of cold weather. Lots of wind, dust and smoke at times when the country is burning.

No state income taxes in Texas.

Gene

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17140 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 8:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
There are some taxes everywhere - while it is easy jump up and down about no income tax on a pension, some locations have property taxes that exceed federal and state income taxes combined. Currently I live in Atlanta and property taxes plus sales taxes make this more expensive than say North Georgia. Tennessee where I used to live has the Hall tax which is on investment income and a fairly high sales tax. But property taxes even in Nashville or Memphis are lower than Atlanta.

If you are looking for places, subscribe to Where To Retire magazine. They publish all kinds of data. Each issue will compare several cities with data like average 3 BR-2B house cost, taxes, sales taxes, weather, hospital beds, etc.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17141 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 9:15 PM
Birgit,

No tax pensions in PA???Golly I live just a couple hours west. Ohio taxes everything

We were living in CA and they tax the property tax very high, so PA, a little cheaper not by much though.

One of the reason we moved to PA, family. I believe keeping your cost down and being close to friends and family is extremely important.

My father is 88yrs old and mom past away last year. We were able to be here for her, and keeping an eye on dad.

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17142 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 9:22 PM
TwoCybers,

There are some taxes everywhere - while it is easy jump up and down about no income tax on a pension, some locations have property taxes that exceed federal and state income taxes combined.

I agree and it wasn't just a chance we came to Pa, we also live in the Republic of Panama. since we are out of the country our main residency was Panama, we didn't have to pay any state tax.

Data keeps changing, and a lot of things are individual choices like us moving to Panama. It's hot we like it, PA it rains, we like it, the only thing getting use to is snow.

Where will we move next? Family lives in PA, but we are looking at RVing for awhile, maybe a few years.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17143 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 9:45 PM
Recommendations: 10
There are some taxes everywhere - while it is easy jump up and down about no income tax on a pension, some locations have property taxes that exceed federal and state income taxes combined.

it's always puzzled me that people seem to focus on taxes ..

so many other intangible things matter more to me (weather, friends, family, health facilities) ,other things that are expensive(food, gas, utilities) and ,as you say, other taxes ..taxes everywhere --if the income tax doesn't get your property or sales will

( and to a certain extent with taxes, you pay for what you get : no taxes, but the bridges are falling down... )

=

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17144 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/23/2011 11:28 PM
I retired right where I was. Rural Illinois but only 90 miles to Chicago. Reasonable home prices out here, 5 minutes to the golf club where dues and storage for my private cart are $1200.

Illinois doesn't tax pensions, IRA/401K distributions, or social security. Income tax on other income just went to a flat 5% after personal exemption and credit for 5% of RE tax. Still not high compared to income tax in many other states. Downside is fairly high RE tax but seniors get some breaks on that.

I do have to get away from the cold and snow for a few weeks in the winter though.

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17145 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/24/2011 3:14 AM
One of the reason we moved to PA, family. I believe keeping your cost down and being close to friends and family is extremely important.

At the time DH retired, we had both sets of parents living 10 miles away. This was very helpful when DH's mother got sick and passed away and my Dad did the same a year later. It's nice being so close to go there whenever the remaining parents need us. All of our immediate family is within 50 miles of us.

Property taxes are one of the reasons we haven't moved somewhere else in California. We've been in this house for 35 years so our taxes here are very low but if we moved, they would be using the new price of a home which can make for high taxes.

Utahtea

Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17146 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/24/2011 7:53 AM
We left Nebraska in 1995 when DH retired and moved to Florida. I'd still be there but DH had other ideas. So, now we sit here in NW Arkansas.

Yes, RE taxes are lower than Florida, and homeowners & car insurance is less. But, we're now paying state income tax and personal property taxes on our vehicles. Sales tax is 9.225% and that includes about a 5% sales tax on food.

For serious medical care, we trot off to Springfield, Mo. or to Little Rock. We're 70 mi r/t to the VA Medical Center, and 35 mi r/t to the nearest decent shopping. Traffic is horrific thanks mainly to the WMT home office 15K employees, and roads that haven't been improved since Sam Walton started Waltons 5 & 10.

It's hot and humid in the summer, cold along with snow and ice storms during the winter. And can you say lots of tornados during the spring.

What am I doing here??? I ask myself daily that same question.

Author: dbphd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17147 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/24/2011 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 4
We retired to Montecito, CA, a small town adjacent to Santa Barbara. We live a block from the beach. The climate is ideal, and the location, on a mile or so wide shelf between the ocean and the mountains, is beautiful. The downside for those who might wish to move here is the very high cost of property. Fortunately, we moved from a town on the SF peninsula where property cost about the same as it does in Montecito. After my dad died, my mother moved to a very nice retirement community about 10 minutes from us, where she is enjoying life at 98. For me, quality of life is much more important than tax considerations.

db

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17148 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/24/2011 4:07 PM
For me, quality of life is much more important than tax considerations.

I agree 100%. My wife and I moved from the Bay Area up to the North Coast in southern Mendocino County. Our house sits on a hill overlooking the Pacific. When I sold my home in the Bay Area, which I had since 1974, my property taxes doubled but it was all worth it. Through hard work and a long range investment plan our dream came true.

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17149 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/24/2011 4:16 PM
Hey thanks Fools for all the input. Love hearing.

Really, taxes isn't everything, just a consideration. More $$ you can keep for those other expenses is a good.

One thing about living in several different places, we enjoy the beauty of each one. Panama we are on the beach, California, where we still have a house, small community and close to CA's friends, and Pennsylvania, green everywhere.

Friends are the greatest investment. We find them everywhere and hold them dear to our hearts. We could not live in PA if we didn't have angels in Panama.

Being close to aging parents, major plus. My mom had dementia, it's one of the reasons we moved back to PA.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17150 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/25/2011 12:46 AM
For serious medical care, we trot off to Springfield, Mo. or to Little Rock

I think medical care is one thing you have to look into when you move. The older you get, the more medical care you need. My friend's dad was getting such awful medical care in Florida they had to hire a vehicle with two drivers and a nurse to get them back up to the Cleveland area for medical care. He has been back, in rehab, in a retirement home (they were lucky to get into a nice retirement home in Chagrin Falls) and is greatly improved, as is her mother who was stressed out at the whole situation.

One thing I have here in NE Ohio is great medical facilities!

Birgit

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17151 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/25/2011 6:55 PM
One thing I have here in NE Ohio is great medical facilities!

When mom had dementia, we found an outstanding retirement home, they took greart care of her.

Healthcare is an extremely important for you and your parents as they age.

Something to think about when you retire.

Author: dbphd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17152 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/25/2011 8:19 PM
Birgit,

I just can't believe you couldn't find excellent health care in Florida. A magnet state for east coast retirees must have abundant physicians who specialize in geriatric care. Ohio as the font of medical knowledge? I doubt it.

db

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17153 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/25/2011 8:33 PM
<<Birgit,

I just can't believe you couldn't find excellent health care in Florida. A magnet state for east coast retirees must have abundant physicians who specialize in geriatric care. Ohio as the font of medical knowledge? I doubt it.>>

Perhaps it depends on where you are. Florida is a huge state with a lot of poor rural areas. If you aren't in the right place, it may be tough, although driving to Ohio seems like a long way to go.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17154 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/27/2011 12:03 AM
I just can't believe you couldn't find excellent health care in Florida.

From what I hear from folks who have experienced FL medical care, you might believe it!!! And, the people I was discussing in my earlier post were going to a FL branch of the Cleveland Clinic - apparently not up to par with the actual Cleveland Clinic. I would not put Ohio medical care down, it is the one great thing we have.

Birgit

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17155 of 19314
Subject: Re: Having fun in the sun Date: 5/27/2011 12:08 AM
Perhaps it depends on where you are. Florida is a huge state with a lot of poor rural areas. If you aren't in the right place, it may be tough, although driving to Ohio seems like a long way to go.

Oh no, these people were not in a rural part of FL, but in one of the wealthier wintering areas, in their condo. They are from NE Ohio, have their main residence there, family is there, and that is why they went back so that Dad could get medical care he was badly in need of. Thought was he was on his way out while in FL, but he is doing well now with proper care.

Birgit

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement