Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AmPalone Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19218  
Subject: Re: Mom's Investment Date: 1/3/2000 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Having never posted before, I'm about to plunge in; if I can be of help. I don't know what state you're mom is in, but depending upon where she is, the nursing home costs can vary considerably. In addition, depending upon her condition, that factors in to the cost. My dad had costs of upwards to $80000 per year, living in New York, had having a progressive debilitation of Parkinsons. So of course, you can invest her 240K agressively at say, 75% Equity/25% bonds but the point is: for how long will that last? No one can tell "when" but have you thought of the 36 month look-back period that allows Medicaid to kick in when resources are depleated? This 36 month time frame has reprocussions. I'd rather not go into the details here, but you should check with an ESTATE attorney in order to make the accommodations necessary. So its not just what vehicles you plan to invest your mom's 240K--its what account names etc...that comes important down the line.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement