No. of Recommendations: 1
Having provided our kids an early inheritance with a fully paid college education, leaving them money after our death is not a goal for me. I agree with your POV, but it is an effort to get DH to see things the same way.

Similar situation here. I've been telling DH for years that we could cancel our term life insurance once the kids got out of college as we have the same philosophy you do, but he wanted to just wait until 2019 when the term ran out. When we visited our financial planner this year, the FP recommended that we cancel the term policy now because we don't need it anymore, and that's when DH finally agreed to it.

I just stopped paying on those policies, and so we can put that money to another use - like adding it to the retirement savings!

I typically don't buy insurance for things I can afford to deal with on my own, and have even self-insured for long term care by setting aside a bucket of assets to grow untouched in the event it is needed.

This is actually an area where we do have insurance, and it is my preference. I am concerned about leaving an impoverished spouse, and for the money we pay for the policies, I'd rather have the insurance than not.

I do recommend that people consider LTC, and then decide based on their own needs. For us, it seemed to make sense, and so we have it, but the life insurance no longer makes sense.

Every situation is different, and there is no one-size-fits-all.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement