Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I reacted to the post above about Cooper's hawks by remembering this event from a few years ago..
which I posted here...
------------------------------

I was interrupted at lunch by a loud "thwack" on the window directly behind me; made by a Junco who came to rest--apparently dead--on the patio under the window. I mean he was lying on his side, neck askew, etc....I'll call him "Desperate" for reasons noted below.

Looking up, I noticed a sharp-shinned hawk standing about 5' away on the patio, who quickly flew away on seeing me at the window. But he only went 20' and landed on the ground under some vine maple at the edge of the grass.

My daughter joined me and noticed (her eyesight is still excellent)that SSH has another bird clutched in the talons of his right foot. This bird (a Junco, as it turned out) I'll call "Lunch"....

So Mr. SSH has passed through, snagged "Lunch", spooked "Desperate" into hitting the window, and seems to be wanting to come back for "Desperate"

In a minute he (she?) flies over to the patio steps intending, I think, to take "Desperate" with him but he sees us watching, gets a little anxious, and dumps "Lunch" before disappearing around the side of the house.

A couple of minutes go by, with us watching the two Juncos, when "Desperate" wakes up, shakes himself, and flies off. My daughter, who has never handled a bird, I encourage to pick up "Lunch" who seems to be coming around despite having been snagged by Mr. SSH and stomped on while he surveyed the yard.

Pretty soon "Lunch" comes to, and is gone.

And now who should come back but you-know-who. Who alights at the spot where he abandoned "Lunch" and finding nothing, goes walking over to where he had seen "Desperate"--only to find him gone also.

Low-yield day for top predators in our yard.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21604881@N06/

--s
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement