Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kuhlfool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 44593  
Subject: Re: Stop or Limit on Short Buy to Cover Date: 7/7/1999 10:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
hayesfj,

You got it right!

The computer "knows" because of the different order types. A buy order with a limit only buys at the limit price or lower (ie. take profits and close position @ $70).

Be careful with the stop limit. I use Datek and stop limits require 2 prices (they can be the same). The first price is the "activation price" meaning that your order becomes active when that price is achieved. In this example, $120. The second price entered is the limit which can be the same or higher. Once this is hit, your order becomes a normal limit order so it is filled at $120 or better, also lower in this case I believe. My understanding is that if the price then goes higher than $120 before the order is filled, you won't cover because that would violate the buy limit. Normally, your stop limit orders get filled at the stop (immediately).

This is my best interpretation so I will gladly defer to a more knowledgable person. To prevent this confusion, I personally use stop market orders to protect my shorts (literally and figuratively). In this case I would set a stop market with an activation price of $120, meaning as soon as the price hits $120, bail out regardless. Potentially, I could get a fill at a much higher price, especially on a gap open. Generally, I know my loss tolerance and once I get there, I head for the exits.

Hope this helps,

Ant
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement