Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
He also said that what we wanted to do (sell property to person A and buy new property from person B) is not an exchange and would not qualify. We have to exchange our lot for a property from another person. We cannot sell our property and shield the gain.

What you need to find is a financial advisor who knows a lot about 1031 Exchanges and can help you through the process. There are services that will be the middle entity, buying/trading for one property and buying/trading another like property so everyone gets what they want in the end.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.