Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hilltopper25 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 300  
Subject: Re: Wild Oats founder moves on... Date: 1/2/2006 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

He has opened a couple Sunflower Markets in the Denver area in the past year. Whole Foods now has 5 stores in the Denver metro area (including 1 in Boulder). Wild Oats probably has about 15 stores in the area.

Whole Foods stores do extremely well and are always packed. Wild Oats is a very weak competitor and their stores have little traffic. I would definitely not invest in Wild Oats stock. I think the company is not well run and makes no money. Visit a Wild Oats then visit a Whole Foods. It is like night and day. Wild Oats originally started in Denver then expanded by overpaying for very weak chains and taking on a lot of debt. They are still trying to fix all the problems caused by their over expansion and heavy debt load.

I would not buy Whole Foods stock. I think it is a great company, but the stock is too expensive.

The Sunflower Stores are very bare bones and seem to target a more cost conscious consumer, but with many of the same products you find in a Whole Foods / Wild Oats. They seem to do a good business. Their locations are in less appealing areas where rents are cheaper. They are definitely not anything like a Whole Foods store.

Given the past history with Wild Oats and how he screwed up, I'd be careful about investing with this guy.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement