Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 87
He might garner a bit of credibility instead of trying to sell this phony and hypocritical ploy.

I'm drowning in irony......

The reason Mr Buffet can speak out and be taken seriously - whether you agree or not with his political views - is because he has amassed a great deal of credibility. As a shareholder and one who has a close family member working in the Berkshire umbrella, I find it highly appropriate that Buffet is speaking his mind. Through the years, right or wrong, the one trait that you could say about the man is his honesty. I believe his concerns are twofold: the success of our society and its relationship with capitalism, as well the success of Berkshire Hathaway and its investors. It may be that the two are more intertwined than most here believe.

That fact the he forsees a trainwreck, regarding the financial and social structure of this country, makes it imperative for him to speak his concerns. The tweaking of congressional leaders collective 'noses' has been blown way, way out of proportion. Mr Buffet has a history of using low key humor in trying to defuse tense situations (I think of him distracting his daughter at her wedding by joking that his fly is unzipped).

In the scheme of things, his ideas are not radical. The fact that he has been attacked so viciously for taking a leadership role in our society, while sharing his accumulated knowledge of finance, reflects more on the dysfunction of our society and its leaders than any shortcomings that Mr Buffet may possess.

Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.