UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 64797  
Subject: Re: Cinema Display HD Date: 12/12/2012 1:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
He said to install new ones every 3 years if you want to be safe.

Yeah, I think that's roughly about the interval at which I replace my APC UPS batteries. Mine have indicators and really annoying buzzers going off periodically when the UPS thinks it's time to replace them. My last battery was from ABC -- American Battery Company -- not APC, but it was cheaper on Amazon than the APC battery from APC's web site, and compatible. Still, I wasn't happy to get a battery that wasn't the same as the image (an APC battery), and others had complained, as well. For whatever reason I don't remember, I kept it, and it seems to have worked.

Back to my Apple 23" Cinema Display HD, I seem to have revived it. Back when I got my KVM switch, I kept plugging things in and taking things out until, seemingly at random, it worked. So, I tried it again. Others on Apple's community forums have reported that plugging and unplugging the power supply eventually got theirs working again. I reasoned there must be something in the power brick that needs to be deliberately discharged, so I shorted the power prongs together and left it a short while. When I plugged it in, the monitor started working again. I repeated the experiment by unplugging it and then failing to get it to work until after I shorted the power again.

I'm not saying that shorting the prongs was the cure. I don't have a circuit diagram to see if it's likely. It's voodoo. But I'm not going to do any more experiments, since it works now.

-awlabrador
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement