UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12878  
Subject: Re: Who's Against Prop 32? Date: 10/9/2012 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
He wanted a free ride! Plain and simple, so now he continues that same slacker attitude, that's what ticked me off...

Who's the bigger slacker, 1) the guy who believes he's got the skills and work ethic to work harder and perform better than his coworkers and wants to actually be rewarded for working harder and performing better so he wants to be free of the union contract so that he can negotiate his own terms of employment with his employer, or 2) the guy who comes in and sees the terms that have already been negotiated for him on his behalf and says, "meh, that's good enough" and proceeds to punch a clock for the next 40 years, working just hard enough not to get fired 'cause he knows the contract inside and out and knows exactly where he can toe the line and be protected? *Wanting* to work harder and be rewarded for it is exactly the opposite of wanting a free ride.

I know that unions are full of diverse people whose principles and work ethics are distributed all along the continuum between those two extremes, and I do believe you fall somewhere in the fat part of the bell curve between the two. I have very, very few negative feelings & memories with my time at Boeing where I worked for a time in a unionized job as well as in a non-unionized support role alongside unionized guys. I worked with folks all along that spectrum. At no time did I wish any of them ill or want to take anything away from any of them. Why do you insist on impugning my own personal motivations for just wanting to be my own man? If I had seen the union who "represented" me do some good stuff to make our deal better, maybe I would have chosen to pay the dues and be a voting member. But I did not see that - in fact saw the opposite (nor did I have any desire to spend any of my time *not* doing the job I wanted and was being paid for - see above about wanting to work harder), and I withheld my support. Personally, I'm glad I had the option, and wish everyone else had the option as well.

JT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement