Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sudhakv Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Head of household - my unusual case Date: 8/23/1999 3:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I read your post on head of household. I am on an EAD right now and my mom is going to be visiting me for 6 months on a b2(tourist) visa. Does that make her a dependent parent? I am going to be funding everything.

I fit all other conditions - single, etc. I have no children.

Can I file as head of household. In that case, should I enter the number of dependents I will claim on my tax return as "1" ?

Please help.

Sudha.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TaxService Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18399 of 121095
Subject: Re: Head of household - my unusual case Date: 8/24/1999 6:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I read your post on head of household. I am on an EAD right now and my mom is going to be visiting me for 6 months on a b2(tourist) visa. Does that make her a dependent parent? I am going to be funding everything.

I fit all other conditions - single, etc. I have no children.

Can I file as head of household. In that case, should I enter the number of dependents I will claim on my tax return as "1" ?

***If you meet all of the tests, perhaps.

You may be able to file as head of household if you are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. In addition, you must have paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year. In most cases a qualifying person must have lived with you in the home for more than half the year.

To meet the citizenship test, a person must be a U.S. citizen or resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the calendar year in which your tax year begins.

Another caveat, you are not able to claim anyone unless you can provide a social security, or other taxpayer identification number. Form SS-5 is used to apply for a social security number. If your dependent is a nonresident or resident alien who does not have and is not eligible to get a social security number (SSN), file Form W-7 with the IRS to apply for an ITIN. Enter this number on your return wherever the dependent's SSN is requested.

An ITIN is for tax use only. It does not entitle you or your dependent to social security benefits or change the employment or immigration status of either of you under U.S. law.

"Jack"

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement