Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GrandmaLil Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2374  
Subject: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/20/2003 1:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In about a month, I plan on heading south for a couple of months. I live only two miles off I-95 in New Jersey, and am heading to Ft. Lauderdale. Couldn't be easier on directions now could it (LOL). My question is, what is a reasonable number of hours to be on the road in your experience? I know that I went to Maine in my motorhome this summer, and found that the nine hour trip was no big deal to make in a day. I stopped a couple of times, and it is nice that your bed and food are right in the back. I just would like to be able to plan.
Also, should I drive for a few hours and rest for a few hours and continue on, or should I pack it up after XX hours and go to a campground for a full night's sleep? I would appreciate any and all answers as I am not certain how to plan this out.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NewPenny Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1096 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/20/2003 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
GrandmaLil,

Your question will be difficult for us to answer, since each of us has our own abilities and sleep needs.

As for myself, it depends on what I'm driving. If I'm zipping along in my little Neon Sport, I can drive for 13 or more hours before getting tired and looking for a place to sleep. If I'm driving the house (37ft Class A) I drive only 4 or 5 hours before pulling off, and I take a lunch/fuel break of about an hour besides. As for napping vs sleeping, I find I do better with a full night's sleep rather than trying to drive straight through using more frequent nap breaks.

Of course, each of us is different. The questions you can ask yourself, would involve how you function best. While driving your rig you want to be well rested in order to cultivate the safest conditions for your trip. What is your daily schedule like now -- while not traveling? How tired do you get while driving your rig? What will the weather be like while you're traveling? How well do you know the route? How much experience do you have driving your rig? There is just so much to consider.

Hope this gives you a place to start in finding your answer.

Penny
"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right."

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1097 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/20/2003 5:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
Also, should I drive for a few hours and rest for a few hours and continue on, or should I pack it up after XX hours and go to a campground for a full night's sleep? I would appreciate any and all answers as I am not certain how to plan this out.

GranmaLil

Can I start out by being green with envy?

I'd let daylight be your guide. An hour or so before it gets dark pull over and settle down for a pleasant evening rather than pushing yourself in the dark. Remember, it is February and the days are lengthening but it does get dark early.

My rule of thumb is that I will travel at about an average 50 miles in an hour. I divide the distance by 50 and that's roughly how much time it's going to take. Don't know the distance from New Jersey to Fort Lauderdale (aren't I the lazy bugger) but do the math and that's roughly your travel time.

Of course, if you're taking a grandkid with you that method of timing goes out the window since there are so many fascinating places to stop and look at something that your average mileage drops to about 10 per hour.

I like Penny's reply and her tag line: 'If you're not having fun you're not doing it right' so I'd like to add this one: 'If God did not intend us to RV, He would not have invented roads'.

MichaelR

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1098 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/20/2003 10:18 PM
Well, according to www.Mapquest.com it's about 1300 miles.

At an average on-the-road speed of 50 MPH, that's 26 hours on the road. Not including rest stops.

Since you can't necessarily do in each of several consecutive days what you can do in one day, I think you should consider making a 4-day trip of it. That would be 6.5 hours a day on the road. Youd presumably have some extra time to get to good spots for the night.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1099 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/21/2003 9:39 AM
Recommendations: 2
Well, according to www.Mapquest.com it's about 1300 miles.
At an average on-the-road speed of 50 MPH, that's 26 hours on the road. Not including rest stops.
Since you can't necessarily do in each of several consecutive days what you can do in one day, I think you should consider making a 4-day trip of it. That would be 6.5 hours a day on the road. Youd presumably have some extra time to get to good spots for the night.

For Mrs. Goofy and me, 3 hours is a breeze. 4 hours is enough. Anything over 5 and we start to get cranky. I marvel at the other RVers we talk to who go "20 hours" or whatever. (We once did 11 hours across Nevada, but then there's nothing in Nevada, including rest stops.)

So, if it were me, and if there was no compelling reason to be "in Florida" by a particular date, I'd make the journey part of the trip. I'd get out a map and figure out a few interesting things to do along the way.

For instance, perhaps visiting some of the historic sites in Virginia like Mt. Vernon or Monticello or Williamsburg Colonial Village. Baltimore' Inner Harbor is interesting, with lots of shops & museums, and there is a week's worth of activity in D.C. if you're anywhere close.

Maybe make a stop at Virginia Beach or somewhere along the ocean in North Carolina. There are tobacco factories in North Carolina and Civil War battlegrounds in Georgia, there's Charleston and lots of other wonderful towns along the way if you have the time.

Mrs. Goofy and I would typically leave a campground between 10-11AM (she's hard to get started), drive til about 3 or 4:00, set up, then reconnoiter the town, have dinner, and sleep. Spend the entire next day in the town visiting the sites or whatever, then go back home, have a nice meal, go to bed. Then the next day get started at 10-11AM, and proceed on for another 3, 4, or 6 hours.

We go to our relatives in Pennsylvania every year for Thanksgiving, a 12 hour drive which we do in two days. That one is all about "getting there", and it is much less fun than just taking our time and enjoying "the ride" rather than "getting to the destination."

Author: GrandmaLil Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1100 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/21/2003 1:25 PM
Thanks for the answers. No grandbabies on this trip, just Grandma and her Minnie. I actually find that I can drive longer in the Winnebago than in my Honda. I start to feel tired in the Honda after a few hours, and I think that is because you get kind of "bored". Driving the motorhome, I find myself having to stay alert and concentrated on driving. When your vehicle is 8 1/2 feet wide, you don't have the drift room that you have in a car.
I appreciate the thoughts though, and if anyone else has any input, please let me know.
P.S. The trip is roughly 1,300 miles. I think that 3 days would be a pretty easy pace. Perhaps the full night's sleep is a good idea. I'm really not in a real hurry, except for the desire to get to the warmth!

Author: GrandmaLil Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1101 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/21/2003 3:36 PM
Goofyhoofy said: "So, if it were me, and if there was no compelling reason to be "in Florida" by a particular date, I'd make the journey part of the trip. I'd get out a map and figure out a few interesting things to do along the way."
Great advice. My only concern is that it will be pretty cold in mid-January, and those spots that I normally enjoy touring, might be a little chilly at that time of year.
BTW, I didn't see the two previous posts until I made my prior one, so forgive me if I repeated things like the mileage.
There are so many good ideas on how to make a trip like this. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Author: tooty46 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1102 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/21/2003 4:08 PM
Hi GrandmaLil...I would also advise you to get an up to date Woodalls or sometype of camping directory. Once ours was a year or two old...and the mess we got into trying to find a campground that was no longer there,... we ran out of daylight trying to find the blasted thing and DH nor I have very good eyesight after dark, so we were getting kinda testy with each other...it started to rain and then it started to storm and were caught out on the expressway, in the pouring rain and blinding lightning..not fun at all. We had never stayed on a WalMart parking lot before that night, but we have many times since then, and it is a blessed sight when you have no port in a storm.
Hope you have a wonderful time...I'll be thinking about you out there and I'll try to keep everyone on the other board in line. Tooty

Author: GrandmaLil Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1103 of 2374
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/22/2003 9:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks for the advice Tooty. I have the 2003 Trailer Life Directory, and have the '04 Woodall's on order. Keeping that other board in line is a tall order. Good luck with that.
Happy Holidays, Grandma

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement