Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55941  
Subject: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 10/14/2011 2:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
And some varieties won't be available at all--at least for awhile:

Peanut-Butter Makers Face Crunch

Another hot, dry summer has devastated this year's peanut crop, sending prices for the legume skyrocketing and forcing peanut-butter brands including J.M. Smucker Co.'s Jif, Unilever NV's Skippy and ConAgra Foods Inc.'s Peter Pan into startling price increases.

Wholesale prices for big-selling Jif are going up 30% starting in November, while Peter Pan will raise prices as much as 24% in a couple weeks. Unilever wouldn't comment on its pricing plans, but a spokesman for Wegmans Food Markets, the closely held supermarket chain in the Northeast U.S., said wholesale prices for all brands it carries, including Skippy, are 30% to 35% higher than a year ago.

Kraft Foods Inc., which launched Planters peanut butter in June, is raising prices 40% on Oct. 31, a spokeswoman said....

...Smucker, the world's largest peanut buyer, is taking action to make sure it has enough peanut butter to stock shelves. It temporarily stopped making eight varieties in certain sizes, like 40-ounce jars or reduced-fat creamy spread, which won't be available again until January.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297020347680457661...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53588 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 10/15/2011 9:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been stocking up on my preferred brand. Mostly by buying a jar at my weekly shopping trip whether I need it or not. I'll probably stop when I get to 6 or so jars, since that will last me a good long time.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53590 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 10/17/2011 8:24 AM
Recommendations: 3
wholesale prices for all brands it carries, including Skippy, are 30% to 35% higher than a year ago.

So what does this mean to the average person?

I usually buy Aldi/generic brand unless I am getting fresh ground in store.
Two very different things price wise. How much is the cost of peanuts increasing?
Anyway my standard generic peanut butter is $1.20 right now.
Even if the price DOUBLES - and I go through 1 jar a week, that ups my monthly food busget by <$5.
yes, over the course of a year that is over $50 -
If I bought a name brand maybe that is close to $100, but certainly not something that would break the bank.
I am quite sure that a 5 cent rise in the cost of gasoline costs me more over the course of a year (not even counting indirect costs)

peace & much ado
t

back to lurking

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53591 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 10/17/2011 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
the price increase effects everything made with peanuts.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53592 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 10/19/2011 1:19 AM
For those who buy a lot of it, maybe a good time to try almond butter.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53593 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 10/19/2011 1:22 AM
For those who buy a lot of it, maybe a good time to try almond butter.

That's been my choice for a long time. I not only love the flavor, it's health benefits are a lot more significant.

sheila

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53599 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/2/2011 11:55 AM
I usually buy several of the smaller jars when I can get them for around $1-1.50 each. The last time I did that, I was able to get 12 jars for $14. That was 6 months ago, and we are down to 4 jars. I guess I need to either start really hunting for deals or get Gary to take something else for his lunches.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53602 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/2/2011 2:25 PM
I usually buy several of the smaller jars when I can get them for around $1-1.50 each. The last time I did that, I was able to get 12 jars for $14.

Our local stores, up until a few months ago, would often run sales on Skippy peanut butter--3 for $5 or 2 for $3. There would sometimes be a $1 off coupon on jars in the Sunday newspaper. I would get a dozen myself during those sales. Haven't seen one in awhile. And just noticed the price went up from $2.79 last week to $3.39 this week. I have to admit, I took advantage of every sale I saw, and am glad I did since I use a jar a week.

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53606 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/2/2011 5:42 PM
I took advantage of every sale I saw, and am glad I did since I use a jar a week.

Me, too! I'm close to a jar (14.3 oz) per week, but it's prolly more like 10 days. I bought 2 of the big 3 lb jars at Costco last week for a little over $8 for 2. That's like getting 3½ of the little jars for a little over $4. Then CVS had Jiffy on sale for 3/$5, so I bought 3 of those.

OleDoc

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53607 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/3/2011 10:46 AM
Me, too! I'm close to a jar (14.3 oz) per week, but it's prolly more like 10 days. I bought 2 of the big 3 lb jars at Costco last week for a little over $8 for 2. That's like getting 3½ of the little jars for a little over $4. Then CVS had Jiffy on sale for 3/$5, so I bought 3 of those.

Thanks for that heads-up! I just looked through our CVS flyer and we also have the Jif on sale for 3 for $5--I'll have to go there Saturday (sale ends Nov. 5). I'll try to post any other sales when I find them.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53612 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/7/2011 4:50 PM
So CVS is having another sale--Jif--2 for $5 + $3 extra bucks. If you turned right around and bought another 2 using the EB's--that would make it 4 for $7. Also--at Walgreen's this week--Skippy @ 2 for $4.

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53615 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/11/2011 10:37 AM
Oh my goodness, I wish I came by earlier to catch up on the news here.

I noticed yesterday at the local supermarket here in NYC that jars (not sure of the size, I think they were 18 oz. sizes) of Skippy and Jif were going for $4.19 each and a very large jar was $8.99. I usually do much of my staples and bulk shopping at BJ's Wholesale Club and I hadn't noticed the price earlier this week, but I am going to see how much it is there.

Thanks for posting this.

Lois Carmen D.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53622 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/11/2011 4:32 PM
Oh my goodness, I wish I came by earlier to catch up on the news here.

I noticed yesterday at the local supermarket here in NYC that jars (not sure of the size, I think they were 18 oz. sizes) of Skippy and Jif were going for $4.19 each and a very large jar was $8.99. I usually do much of my staples and bulk shopping at BJ's Wholesale Club and I hadn't noticed the price earlier this week, but I am going to see how much it is there.

Thanks for posting this.

Lois Carmen D.

I hope you can find a good sale to stock-up on. And for anyone with a Foodtown store in your area, I noticed that according to the weekly circular starting tomorrow (the chain starts their weekly sales on Saturdays, not Sundays like most others), Planter's Peanut Butter (which is awesome, btw) is on sale for $1.99 a jar.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53638 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/14/2011 9:14 AM
Latest sale spotted: CVS--Skippy Peanut Butter 3 for $5

*heads to CVS*

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53640 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/14/2011 2:33 PM
Latest sale spotted: CVS--Skippy Peanut Butter 3 for $5

*heads to CVS*

Looking at health consequences again -- Skippy peanut butter has sugar and hydrogenated oils added. (Like peanuts don't have enough of their own oil???) Both of these additions are on the not-good-for-your-health list. Unadulterated peanut butter is delicious, and good for you (as long as you don't overdo the calories). Isn't your health more important than what you'd save?

sheila

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53641 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/14/2011 4:49 PM
Recommendations: 5
Unadulterated peanut butter is delicious

To each her own. While I find the flavor OK, I find the texture--and the separation and need for cold storage--off putting. Gimme my Jif additives!

Had my semi-annual visit to my cardiologist last week. With the holidays upon us we were discussing the relative merits of duck vs goose fat for cooking. She mentioned using duck fat for pie crust. I've never thought of trying that, sticking to lard, but with home-rendered lard so hard to come by nowadays, I may just have to give it a shot.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

"Eat Right. Stay Fit. Die Anyway."

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53643 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/14/2011 5:58 PM
To each her own. While I find the flavor OK, I find the texture--and the separation and need for cold storage--off putting. Gimme my Jif additives

I can't stand the separation issue either, tbh. I do buy 'natural' Skippy and Jif peanut butter on occasion (but my favorite peanut butter is Skippy Reduced-Fat Creamy--I tend to like the sweetness of the added sugar, actually--I don't need jelly or anything else with it).

As far as the 'hydrogenated fat' issue--this is from the Skippy website:

Skippy® peanut butter is a trans-fat free food

The label also has a banner stating it's 'transfat free'.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53644 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/15/2011 2:08 AM
The label also has a banner stating it's 'transfat free'.

From the Mayo Clinic website: "However, you should be aware of what nutritional labels really mean when it comes to trans fat. For example, in the United States if a food has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, the food label can read 0 grams trans fat. Though that's a small amount of trans fat, if you eat multiple servings of foods with less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, you could exceed recommended limits."

The Ingredients listing includes "hydrogenated vegetables oils (cottonseed, soybean and rapeseed). The Mayo site says that the term "hydrogenated" doesn't automatically mean that there are no trans-fats. So....I hope their label is truthful.

I didn't realize there's such a problem with separation with peanut butter that's free of all additives. I prefer almond butter, and the ones that I buy don't have a separation problem.

sheila

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53645 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/15/2011 10:02 AM
Sheila--

I know you're trying to be helpful, but with all due respect, I am very, very conscious of healthy-eating and practice it myself 99% of the time. The 1% I reserve for special occasions. I do not live on peanut butter cups, cupcakes, or butter-soaked pierogies. But dammit, it would be a pretty sad existence to only follow a spartan lifestyle and never treat yourself to anything more indulgent than natural peanut butter--or almond butter-- on rice crackers.

I can nitpick literally every food anyone suggests based on health reasons myself. For example:

--someone says they ate a peanut butter sandwich made with natural, freshly ground peanut butter. But peanut butter and even almond butter--natural or not--contains too many omega-6 fatty acids relative to omega-3's--that imbalance contributes to inflammation-- they should use a something on their bread with a better efa profile--and certainly shouldn't be using white bread at all--they should eat 100% whole wheat bread only.

--but whole wheat bread has gluten. They should be eating gluten-free bread.

--but gluten-free bread has very little fiber, they shouldn't eat any bread and instead use lettuce wraps.

--but lettuce might have pesticides, so they should only buy organic

--but they shouldn't be buying their vegetables at all--too many nutrients are lost during transportation and storage--they should grow their own produce.

-- they grow their own vegetables and love to eat steamed broccoli--but they shouldn't be steaming the broccoli--that destroys nutrients--they should eat their vegetables raw.

--but raw broccoli can interfere with thyroid production......

As far as the transfat issue--I am well aware of federal labeling requirements--in fact I have the regulations bookmarked. Here is the one pertaining to transfats:

(ii) “ Trans fat” or “ Trans ”: A statement of the number of grams of trans fat in a serving, defined as the sum of all unsaturated fatty acids that contain one or more isolated (i.e., nonconjugated) double bonds in a trans configuration, except that label declaration of trans fat content information is not required for products that contain less than 0.5 gram of total fat in a serving if no claims are made about fat, fatty acid or cholesterol content. The word “ trans ” may be italicized to indicate its Latin origin. Trans fat content shall be indented and expressed as grams per serving to the nearest 0.5 (1/2)-gram increment below 5 grams and to the nearest gram increment above 5 grams. If the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content, when declared, shall be expressed as zero. Except as provided for in paragraph (f) of this section, if a statement of the trans fat content is not required and, as a result, not declared, the statement “Not a significant source of trans fat” shall be placed at the bottom of the table of nutrient values.

For your convenience--this is a direct link to the CFR for § 101.9 Nutrition labeling of food:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid...

zf
(no stranger to healthy eating but not orthorexic)

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53646 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/15/2011 11:10 AM
--but whole wheat bread has gluten. They should be eating gluten-free bread.

BULL!

This anti-gluten thing is way out of hand.

If you have celiac disease or some other health issue that gluten causes issues, fine, avoid gluten. However, the way you state it here in this list seems to imply everyone should avoid gluten all the time.

And that's malarkey.

- T.

ps: if one more person asks me for gluten-free vodka or scotch I'm going to LOSE IT!

pps: you've been warned.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53647 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/15/2011 2:43 PM
I know you're trying to be helpful, but with all due respect, I am very, very conscious of healthy-eating and practice it myself 99% of the time. The 1% I reserve for special occasions.

I'm glad to see that. And I totally agree that food pleasures are important! Realize that my comments are more generally directed. You may already know the score, but if anyone else reading this learns something possibly helpful -- that's my goal. If I've annoyed you in the process, I apologize.

I'd also like to straighten out a few misconceptions in your zig-zag "what if" course.

YOU SAID...."even almond butter--natural or not--contains too many omega-6 fatty acids relative to omega-3's--that imbalance contributes to inflammation...."

HOWEVER....not ALL omega-6's are harmful, and in addition, we need a certain ratio. Also remember that almonds are highly advocated for a heart-healthy diet. They are in the "good fats" category. And if you look at the Nutrition Data website, each food is given a rating along the inflammatory-anti-inflammatory spectrum. Raw unsalted almonds are given a "highly anti-inflammatory" rating.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/31...

YOU SAID...."they should eat 100% whole wheat bread only."
HOWEVER....whole wheat isn't the holy grail. There are a variety of grains with as much or more nutritional value--including some that are gluten-free--and the best approach for health is to eat a variety of good grains.

YOU SAID...."but whole wheat bread has gluten. They should be eating gluten-free bread."
HOWEVER....only people with celiac disease, or with gluten intolerance (like me), should be eating gluten-free bread.

YOU SAID...."but gluten-free bread has very little fiber...."
HOWEVER....a slice of whole wheat bread has 2 g of dietary fiber, and a slice of the gluten-free cinammon-raisin bread I love has 1 g. In terms of what we should have in our daily diet, it's a minimal difference. And that's easily provided by a good cooked breakfast cereal.

YOU SAID...."they shouldn't be steaming the broccoli--that destroys nutrients--they should eat their vegetables raw."
HOWEVER....It's boiling vegetables that is the primary culprit for stealing their nutrients. A significant percent ends up in the cooking water. Light steaming is the alternative that leaves most of the nutrients in the vegetable.

YOU SAID...."but raw broccoli can interfere with thyroid production...."
HOWEVER....the goitrogen content is so small, and inactivated by light steaming--which does not destroy the antioxidant and anticancer value. The same goitrogen/light steaming issue also relates to: corn, sweet potatoes, lima beans, turnips, peanuts, cassava (yuca), canola ,and soybeans.

YOU SAID..."but they shouldn't be buying their vegetables at all--too many nutrients are lost during transportation and storage...."
HOWEVER....it's a problem when produce has been picked way too early, and with significant time in storage and shipping. Local seasonal items -- different story.

Here is where I agree with you 1000%!! YOU SAID...."but lettuce might have pesticides, so they should only buy organic." ABSOLUTELY!!! There are some fruits and veggies that actually have a thick enough skin or shell to prevent absorption of pesticides. Others, like lettuces and berries and peaches and nectarines, are extremely vulnerable. EWG.org has a good list for each category.

And for me, another caveat is to try, whenever possible, to get meat and dairy products that involve pesticide-free pasture-raised animals, free of hormones and low-dose antibiotics. Then we get our good ratio of omega-3s to omega-6s, we don't get harmful chemicals, and boy do they taste better too.

sheila

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53648 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/15/2011 3:50 PM
ps: if one more person asks me for gluten-free vodka or scotch I'm going to LOSE IT!

Okey dokey, T.; just give me a shot of gluten-free tequila...

8^)

OleDoc

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53649 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/15/2011 9:15 PM
Okey dokey, T.; just give me a shot of gluten-free tequila...

8^)

Casa Noble, aged in French oak barrels (well the reposado & añejo).

Tres Agaves, aged in Woodford bourbon barrels (again, the reposado & añejo).

Chinaco, aged in French & English whiskey barrels (need I say it again? not the blanco).

Not a molecule of gluten in any of them.

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53650 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/16/2011 5:38 PM
Recommendations: 5
Some of you may remember back about 8-10 years ago when this Board used to be interesting, useful, intelligent and .... FUN!

Good Grief.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53651 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/17/2011 9:06 AM
Recommendations: 7
Some of you may remember back about 8-10 years ago when this Board used to be interesting, useful, intelligent and .... FUN!

Good Grief.

Good Grief is right! Holy Bleep! I have to LoL at how freaking literal everyone took me!

I was trying to be HUMOROUS with the litany of "don't's" people--the point being there is basically NOTHING we could eat that someone, somewhere can't find some study or some 'health-article' giving a reason for not eating.

If we spend our lives hand-wringing over every little piece of food we put in our mouths, well, that would cause stress, and stress can cause high blood pressure and high blood pressure can cause......

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53654 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/17/2011 12:04 PM
Good Grief is right!...I was trying to be HUMOROUS with the litany of "don't's" people--the point being there is basically NOTHING we could eat that someone, somewhere can't find some study or some 'health-article' giving a reason for not eating.

That was obvious. But it kind of undercuts your point when you make statements that aren't valid.

In any case -- eating should be fun and tasty. Or what's the point! I look for things that live up to that and are good for me too. And once in a while I cheat. Which is also fun.

sheila

Author: GeeBeeNC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53656 of 55941
Subject: Re: Heads-Up--Peanut Butter Prices to Rise--Alot Date: 11/18/2011 7:52 AM
interesting, useful, intelligent and .... FUN!

Which brings us to the question, has anyone heard from RaV lately?

GeeB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement