Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: spiritualman1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 219  
Subject: Health benefits of meditation Date: 2/25/2009 5:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1507201/the_health_...

best, sm
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 174 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/7/2009 2:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for posting. One of my favorite uses for meditation (which many practices don't teach) is using it for problem-solving.

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 175 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/7/2009 6:42 PM
Recommendations: 2
that's called 'sitting there thinking about something'.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/8/2009 4:16 PM
You've obviously never tried it. There is no "sitting there thinking about something".

You formulate your question right before you meditate; then enter meditation. You may not get your answer during meditation, but I've usually gotten them within one to 24 hours (depending on the question).

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 177 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/9/2009 5:48 PM
You formulate your question right before you meditate; then enter meditation. You may not get your answer during meditation, but I've usually gotten them within one to 24 hours (depending on the question).

So ....

If you 'formulated your question right before' you sat on the toilet to drop a log; then entered 'log-dropping (state of) mind'. And though you may not get your answer during your toilet sit, you've usually gotten them within one to 24 hours (depending on the question). . .

would you then say "One of my favorite uses for [pooping] (which many practices don't teach) is using it for problem-solving."

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

-->> what makes you assume that 'asking your question' before sitting has anything at all to do with some 'answer' or other occuring to you at some point 'usually over the next 24 hours'?
Why doesn't it have to do with the lovely 7+ hours of sleep you had that night? Or any one of dozens of other undertakings that you engaged in between 'posing your question' and 'receiving an answer'?
Or why must it have to do with any specific activity at all other than that you asked yourself a question and, therefore, set into motion an ongoing process of 'background musing' which your unconsciouse mind eventually settled on a sort of 'response' to?

nl
((off to try the log-drop problem-solver technique!))

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 178 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/12/2009 8:29 PM
Yawn!

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 179 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/12/2009 8:34 PM

Actually, it's called sitting there not thinking about something...

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 180 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/13/2009 5:18 AM
no .. it is true that meditation has been refered to as 'sitting still, doing nothing' .. but what yawningrose is describing is 'sitting there thinking about something' .. and calling it 'meditation'.

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 181 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/13/2009 1:37 PM
no .. it is true that meditation has been refered to as 'sitting still, doing nothing' .. but what yawningrose is describing is 'sitting there thinking about something' .. and calling it 'meditation'.

I've never known someone to be so pretentious about what is or is not meditation. You certainly seem to be very attached to this. Maybe something to not think about next time you're sitting.

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/13/2009 5:43 PM
I've never known someone to be so pretentious about what is or is not meditation. You certainly seem to be very attached to this. Maybe something to not think about next time you're sitting.

-----------------------------
one could say that, in some sense, 'everything is meditation'
but how pretentious would that be?

if you're going to use language, identifiers, and sign on
to a mutual acceptance of and agreement to 'meanings', then,
within that paradigm, it may be worthwhile to stand in the
agreement that 'this' is not 'that' and 'that' is not the other.
If this rattles your cage that is your issue, and I trust it
is not so major a thing that you can't step over it.

The most 'pretentious' statement in this thread is:
" I've never known someone to be so pretentious about what is or is not meditation. You certainly seem to be very attached to this."
A close second is:
"One of my favorite uses for meditation (which many practices don't teach) is using it for problem-solving."

Both statements contain ALL kinds of absurd assumptions and attitude that deserves reflecting back. Since I had a few spare minutes here before the Hangman arrives, I decided to take on that role.

n

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/13/2009 6:15 PM
The most 'pretentious' statement in this thread is:
" I've never known someone to be so pretentious about what is or is not meditation. You certainly seem to be very attached to this."
A close second is:
"One of my favorite uses for meditation (which many practices don't teach) is using it for problem-solving."

Both statements contain ALL kinds of absurd assumptions and attitude that deserves reflecting back. Since I had a few spare minutes here before the Hangman arrives, I decided to take on that role.

Oh. I freely admit to be a pretentious a-hole. No problem there, but read back thru the posts on this board and many a time there is good ole noteable giving his corrections to other folks perceptions of meditation and what is right and wrong. Including your last post.

No biggie. Everyone needs a hobby. Just pointing it out.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/13/2009 8:17 PM
but what yawningrose is describing is 'sitting there thinking about something' .. and calling it 'meditation'.
And you are totally wrong. But then how would you know? You obviously can't speak about something you've never done.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/13/2009 8:21 PM
. . . many a time there is good ole noteable giving his corrections to other folks perceptions of meditation and what is right and wrong. Including your last post.
Let's see . . . . there are nazis, neo-nazis, soup nazis. food nazis, health nazis, religion nazis and now we have . . . meditation nazis.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 186 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/13/2009 10:51 PM
"I've never known someone to be so pretentious about what is or is not meditation. "

It appears he is the only poster who knows how to define meditation.

In meditation the inner mind is very active. This gets interrupted by thoughts. The thought is not the meditation, nor is the mantra. The mantra is the distraction to allow the door to meditation to open, the pulse rate to drop, breathing slow, and opening of the inner mind where meditation is. Meditating feels like you are nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

Once you achieve the above, your meditation can develop to higher levels.

Yes, there is a concentration meditation, constantly imaging a word, but is is a short road without long term results.

I didn't like the poop analogy, but meditation is without words, and words were being used to describe it so.... I have to let it pass.

jC

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/14/2009 10:30 AM
Meditating feels like you are nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

Once you achieve the above, your meditation can develop to higher levels.
This is the type of meditation I practice. There are many roads to getting to that point.

Yes, there is a concentration meditation, constantly imaging a word, but is is a short road without long term results.
This is not what I was referring to. What I was referring to was formulating a question prior to entering meditation and releasing the question. Then meditating until you feel "like you are nowhere and everywhere at the same time".

You do not concentrate on the question during meditation. That's not meditation. That's 'monkey mind'.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 188 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/14/2009 11:00 AM
Loving,
As kindly as I can, there are better techniques of meditation.

Our feeble human mind is a trap. Any thing we can think of as a solution is bound to be flawed. But if we become opened to all possibilities, new unique options .....occur.... Not that we thought of them, it just ....occured....

An example is Desire. "I desire an apple" A young mediator would entertain the desire. Some where through the day, someone would give him an apple. An advanced meditator would hold out his hand and an apple would appear. The very advanced meditator would have the desire for an apple and the taste and texture of the apple would instantly fill his senses.

Please don't limit yourself. Everything is possible.

jC

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 189 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/15/2009 6:27 PM
Recommendations: 3
Oh. I freely admit to be a pretentious a-hole. No problem there, but read back thru the posts on this board and many a time there is good ole noteable giving his corrections to other folks perceptions of meditation and what is right and wrong. Including your last post.

No biggie. Everyone needs a hobby. Just pointing it out.

Matt

---------------------------------

It must be a drag knowing that you are, in your own words, "a pretentious a-hole". I think there was a time in my life when I tried to identify with that .. but with me, in the end, knowing first hand the full story of each given situation and what my honest intentions were .. I found that it just wasn't true of me.

You may take refuge in make-believe if it gives you comfort, it's an old habit of many; this is complete fabrication on your part. You can 'read back' through my posts all you like if this is what you choose to spend your time doing. If you are honest and believe what you see over your own mental fabrications, you will see that there is no truth to your ridiculous fantasy that over and over again I am "giving my corrections to other folks perceptions of meditation..". These are 'discussion boards'. And I, with others, have shared my opinions and experiences. If some paranoid fearfulness in you takes my straightforward opinions as 'corrections to your life' that has nothing to do with me or my actions. I won't quit sharing what I know because one little guy is fearfully trembling at what I say. Sorry.

n

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/15/2009 6:47 PM
Recommendations: 3
. . . there are nazis, neo-nazis, soup nazis. food nazis, health nazis, religion nazis and now we have . . . meditation nazis.

----------
this is abso-effing-LUTEly perfect!

(Man o man .. talk about being the one our daddies warned us about!)

- Get on a discussion board
- Join in on a discussion .. express your opinion
- Sit back and watch while those who feel threatened by other views
publicly ERUPT into screeming "nazi! nazi! NAZI!!!"

And on a board entitled, 'Meditation' !!!

¡¡¡PERFECT!!!

:)))

Author: AliveandWell One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/15/2009 9:18 PM
Hello all

Very new here to the Motley Fools. I live in Canada and appear to be a minority at that.

Has anyone read Eckhart Tolles' A New Earth ?

Have read the "Health Benefits of Meditation" thread in its entirety (18 so far) with interest.

Found the comments: educational,and amusing. The intellectual exchanges plus bantering fun with words were quite entertaining.

I don't meditate, Wish I did, best I can do is practice mindfulness. That will have to do for now. Someday, hopefully it (meditation and being present) will be a subject taught in schools, far more user friendly than memorization of historical dates and events.

One important aspect of Eckhart's teachings for those not familiar is -- Strive to be in an ego free state, where judgement of any sort does not exist. I wonder in many situations what that would look like-- and in the case of this thread, I would say spirtualman who initiated this subject, but had no need to further comment epitomizes the ego less characteristic of the New Earth the average human can scarcely imagine.

Denise

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 192 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/15/2009 9:45 PM
Denise, Welcome to the board.

I don't meditate, Wish I did, best I can do is practice mindfulness. <i/>

Then you have a good start. Most likely there is a local meditation center near you, but choose carefully. Promises of greatness are not always realized.

Strive to be in an ego free state, where judgment of any sort does not exist.
I am unfamiliar with Eckhart Tolles, but the quote above seems to bode well of him. To many people are involved with their egos and the way they want things to be.

But you know this might be a changing time, if the economic collapse continues we may all re-evaluate what we consider to be valuable.
just a thought
jC

Author: AliveandWell One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 193 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/15/2009 10:16 PM
Thank you jC

I don't imagine the ' I have a busy life' excuse would fly on this board, rather, it probably means I need it more. Regardless, I have big dreams of going on silent 10 day retreats with learn-ed wisdom teachers :)
Always, some day when....... yeah, when the teenagers can be left alone, when I have sufficient funds, etc etc,

I know I could start small, and try 10 minutes a day, I used to that before I quit smoking hahah Every time I went outside for one, I would just be mindful and meditate on how much I enjoyed every drag. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I swear it was the only time I took breathes, actual, deep breathes albeit they were not, full of nice cleansing air and oxygen, but the rest of the time, I was in anxiety shallow breathing, so the smoking worked. Now I quit 4 months coming up, and its getting better. So baby steps it is.

Eckhart Tolles is best known for his book called "The Power of Now"
Took me a year to read it the first time. Very deep. This New Earth is an easier read, and Very realistic for these changing times you indicated.

Denise

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/16/2009 12:24 AM
Since you are now a non smoker (congratulations!) I would suggest pranayam. 2 or 3 minutes and sit silently for 4-5 minutes. It can also help relieve the urge to smoke.

Any meditation takes a commitment. And a schedule. If you can, wake up a few minutes earlier, shower and meditate. Even a few minutes is better than nothing, but don't forget to rest before going into activity.
jC

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/16/2009 12:29 AM
It must be a drag knowing that you are, in your own words, "a pretentious a-hole". I think there was a time in my life when I tried to identify with that .. but with me, in the end, knowing first hand the full story of each given situation and what my honest intentions were .. I found that it just wasn't true of me.

It must be great to be you oh holy one. what can I ever do to be worthy of your great words of wisdom. I shall prostrate myself before the computer and sing of the holy truth.

moo

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 196 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/16/2009 11:21 AM
I don't imagine the ' I have a busy life' excuse would fly on this board, rather, it probably means I need it more. Regardless, I have big dreams of going on silent 10 day retreats with learn-ed wisdom teachers :)
Actually, it would fly (except with notabledrunkard). Many folks have that same dilemma, but I've found that meditation or just sitting and being 'mindful' can be practiced in small increments. Sometimes it helps in the beginning just to practice a few relaxation techniques.

I loved the stories I've heard of Ghandi's meditation practice -- two hours a day except on busy days. Then he meditated for four.

Ten day silent retreat is a great goal to have, but as you stated later in your post, start with small steps. You said that one of the 'benefits' of smoking was taking deep breaths. What if you took a few minutes -- anywhere, any time -- to just sit, focus on your breathing and take a few deep breaths. Start with a few and gradually add a couple each day. Before long, you may just achieve that meditation state you are looking for.

By the way, your comment on the smoking and deep breathing was not ridiculous. I've actually heard that from a number of other smokers.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 197 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/16/2009 11:22 AM
It must be great to be you oh holy one. what can I ever do to be worthy of your great words of wisdom. I shall prostrate myself before the computer and sing of the holy truth.
ROTFLMAO

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/16/2009 11:42 AM
Actually, it would fly (except with notabledrunkard).

Don't feel too quick to sneer at noteablelaggard. He does have some good insight and his pov is as valid as any other. Sometimes I think he feels it is more valid than other and therein lies my only problem with him. you can learn from anyone...perhaps sometimes even from a self avowed pretentious a-hole like myself. keep yourself open to other possibilities

Author: AliveandWell One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 199 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/17/2009 2:03 AM
Can someone tell me how to quote previous authors and have it show up
italicized like that...
(Using your mouse you can highlight, copy, and then paste any of the above message into your reply)

I use the above instruction and it copies but in normal text

Thanks

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 200 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/17/2009 1:00 PM
You have to use HTML characters, a < followed by i followed by >. to end it you use a /i in the middle.
B makes it bold
and somewhere in the Welcome Fool board is the whole A-Z on posting, favorite Fools, and all that.
try this:
http://www.fool.com/help/index.htm?display=community02

jC

Author: AliveandWell One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 201 of 219
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/18/2009 12:12 AM
Thank you jC, a little HTML magic :)

Denise

testing

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement