UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JOETAB24 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Health Insurance? Date: 1/19/2005 8:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do you early retirees manager health costs?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 813 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 1/19/2005 11:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
How do you early retirees manager health costs?

- My #1 goal is to stay healthy by eating a good diet and getting regular exercise.

Since I am healthy, my annual costs for meds and doctor's visits are low.

In addition, I buy health insurance policies with high deductibles.

Wherever possible, I use food as preventative medicine. That way I get a two-fer.

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 814 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 1/21/2005 1:44 PM
Recommendations: 2
- My #1 goal is to stay healthy by eating a good diet and getting regular exercise.

In June of 2003 I was at 180 lbs-5'9" and I ate a very good diet. I had my blood checks in May and everything was good. I rode bike three or four times per week. The rides had average trips of about 35-50 miles each.

Yet, on June 4th, 2003 I had a stroke. A stoke either has too much blood in the brain or less blood than is needed. 80% of people who have a stroke are from less of blood. Just eating an aspirin daily isn't sufficient.

My sport keeps me to eat a good diet but it doesn't prevent a stroke.

Blackduff (riding the bike again trying to recover)

Author: jmcjls Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 815 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 1/22/2005 2:11 AM
In June of 2003 I was at 180 lbs-5'9" and I ate a very good diet. I had my blood checks in May and everything was good. I rode bike three or four times per week. The rides had average trips of about 35-50 miles each.

Yet, on June 4th, 2003 I had a stroke. A stoke either has too much blood in the brain or less blood than is needed. 80% of people who have a stroke are from less of blood. Just eating an aspirin daily isn't sufficient.

My sport keeps me to eat a good diet but it doesn't prevent a stroke.

Blackduff (riding the bike again trying to recover)

Good luck in your recovery.

Obviously bad health events can happen to anybody -- including those who are in, otherwise, good health. I'll bet your good health increased your chance of survival......

jmc, really does need to eat better & exercise more

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 816 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 1/22/2005 12:26 PM

Since I am healthy, my annual costs for meds and doctor's visits are low.

In addition, I buy health insurance policies with high deductibles.

Wherever possible, I use food as preventative medicine. That way I get a two-fer.

What she said.

There are no guarantees, as Blackduff pointed out, but I think it's worth it to tip the scales in your favor.

--chooey
P.S. I hate doctors and stay away from them if I can. But I'm getting a checkup next week, anyway, just to see how I'm doing.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 1/23/2005 5:45 AM
How do we do it? We pay.... a lot. We have no special retirement "Sweert deals" from any employer, so we had to go out and just buy an individual policy. We have Blue Cross, with a $3,000 deductible on each of us.

When we started the policy, at age 60, it was $325/month; now, it's up to $685/month, 4 years later.

Scary, but what are the choices? ONE serious hospital event could wipe us out otherwise!

Vermonter

Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 818 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 1/23/2005 8:35 AM
"How do you early retirees manager health costs? "

We took cobra for one year. Then my husband found a company that hires him as needed. We were able to participate in their plan. We pay the premiums. But they are at a group cost. And the benifits are better also. This company regularly hires per diem construction workers. So they have a group medical plan for them through blue cross/ blue shield. The employee pays the premiums.

Author: hjg0989 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 820 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 2/18/2005 11:57 PM
Recommendations: 8
"How do you early retirees manager health costs? "

Yea, this seems to be the big question. I keep beating myself up for not starting retirement saving earlier. The reality is, even if I had I don't think I would have had enough to go out early and pay for medical insurance on my own.

Three years ago, I had a MRI for a hearing problem and it showed an unrelated brain anurysm that had probably been sitting there for years. Everything went well with absolutely no after effects, but the medical expense was huge. Fortunately I was working and had full blue cross coverage. I have since decided that I will stay employed until I can retire at 56 with full health bennies.

The scary thing to me is that private policies can be cancelled if claims become to high. This should be illegal. The purpose of insurance is to have it in case there are huge medical expenses. It doesn't seem fair that they collect premiums for many years when there are minimal claims filed, yet they can drop us if we exceed a limit.

I don't believe they can drop individuals if they are covered under a group plan.

-helen

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 821 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 2/20/2005 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 3
My father used to be on the board of a local hospital, 10 years ago we discussed HMO's and private insurance, here's my understanding of what he said.

HMO's aren't charging enough now to cover costs when the members get older and costs rise HMO are either going to have to charge more, drop clients, or go out of business.

Private insurance policies rise every year, as the price goes up healthy people switch to new less expensive policies. Sick people don't qualify for the new policy and stay with the increasingly more expensive plan. Eventually only very sick people are in the plan, the plan is then cancelled. No laws are broken because no one is kicked out, the entire plan is gone. Now the sick people don't have insurance.

Author: solarae One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 861 of 1491
Subject: Re: Health Insurance? Date: 9/3/2005 1:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have an individual Blue Cross policy called PPO 1000. The deductable is $1000. It does not pay for office visits, prescriptions or diagnostics. Pretty much it pays for hospitalization and surgery. I have no debt and a home equity line of $75K at prime. My retirement income is around 20K/yr and growing. I grow my own veggies, surf and try to keep a calm but active mind. I hope this plan works as I can't afford more. Recently though, I was diagnosed with Hep C. I'm asymptomatic and have evidently had it for more than 20 years. I should be fine but scary to think I could get kicked off my policy.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement