Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Health insurance rebate Date: 7/13/2012 1:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have an individual health insurance plan because it is cheaper than getting health insurance through DH's employer. I just received a rebate check. Evidently, insurers have to spend 80% of premiums each year on health care and if they don't, they have to rebate the appropriate amount to make the 80%, so the rebate is for 2011 premiums paid.

There is a short FAQ at the end of the cover letter and the last questions is whether the rebate is taxable. The answer is: "Please consult your tax advisor, as situations vary."

I think that because I paid the premiums in after-tax dollars, that the rebate isn't taxable to me. It's just a return of my after-tax money. I don't itemize, so the taxes on the money have already been paid.

Is this correct?

Barbara
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116421 of 121061
Subject: Re: Health insurance rebate Date: 7/13/2012 2:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Is this correct?

For you, yes. It is not taxable.

Had you been itemizing AND claiming this health insurance as a medical expense, then the refund would have been taxable to the extent it reduced your taxes in a prior year.

--Peter

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116422 of 121061
Subject: Re: Health insurance rebate Date: 7/13/2012 4:18 PM
One more comment for completeness.

You don't happen to be self-employed and deducting your health insurance premiums through that mechanism? If so, then the refund would be taxable. If you're not self-employed, then again the refund is tax-free.

--Peter

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116423 of 121061
Subject: Re: Health insurance rebate Date: 7/14/2012 9:30 AM
That's Obamacare kicking in...the rebates.

Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116424 of 121061
Subject: Re: Health insurance rebate Date: 7/14/2012 5:47 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Peter. That's was I thought. I'm not deducting the premiums any where on my taxes.

Barbara

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement