No. of Recommendations: 0
I work as an independent contractor. I have no employees and am not incorporated. My spouse does not do work for me.

It appears that I can claim the cost of health insurance for myself and my spouse as a tax deduction, provided that the insurance plan is "established under" my business.

How can I be sure that I have a plan which qualifies under this rule?

Currently, my spouse and I have separate individual plans, with the same insurance provider.

The provider offers either group schemes, for businesses with at least 2 employees, or individual schemes, which can cover a spouse.

So, do I need simply to switch to an individual plan in my name, covering my spouse also?

Can anyone clarify what the IRS might mean by "established under" a business?


Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.