Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: saunafool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445604  
Subject: Hear My Confession Date: 8/18/2014 7:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 51
I can't admit this to the real people in my life, so here is my confession.

Sometimes, when you are learning a foreign language, you make mistakes, very embarrassing mistakes.

I was at a shopping center with my French wife and her mother over the weekend. We needed change for a 20 Euro note. My MIL asked at 3 stores where they all turned her down. I could see she wasn't doing it right--she was going in with the money, asking if they could break it for her. In a way only the French can, they all shot her down.

I said, "je vais le faire." (I will do it.) I went to a pharmacy and a very pretty young woman answered my request and seemed to smile from ear to ear.

I walked back proudly to my wife, gave her the change, and said, "It's all in how you ask. You don't just shove the 20 in their face and ask for change. You ask for help, and when they agree, then you ask."

She said, "what did you say."

I said, "I asked her for a small favor."

Wife: "How did you say it?"

I said: "I asked if she could do a 'petite besoin' for me"

Wife: You didn't ask her for a favor, you asked her to take a crap for you.

My confidence in the French language has just been set back about 8 years.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement