UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58785  
Subject: Re: Good news for fat people Date: 11/10/2007 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Heck, being "obese" is OK....

...if you are, say, running back LaDainian Tomlinson (LT to you football fans), who, at 5'10" and 221 pounds has a BMI of 31.7 (BMI over 30 is technically obese- over 25 is "overweight")

http://broncotalk.net/images/ladainiantomlinson.jpg

I dunno about this obese stuff. The guy looks pretty buff to me.

See, those weight guidelines only apply to normal folks like vou et moi. Muscular people can weigh more, so they say, even though none of those studies of weight and health actually measured the body mass of the subjects. They backed into body mass using ...height and weight, which, as we know from looking at LT, doesn't tell us squat about a person who is just one of thousands of subjects in some study.

If you want to actually measure body composition, the most accurate way is to put you in this little chamber and measure how much air you displace. Machines that do this are rare. In the entire Washington DC area, with NIH and all thoses doctors, there is only one such machine (at GW University).

All this leads me to believe that this health and weight stuff is just "weird science". If they didn't sort out LT from the fatties in their tests, how do we know that LT doesn't need to lose 60 pounds? Don't give me that "he's naturally big" stuff, either. As the genocides of the 20th Century have shown, anyone can lose a few pounds. But don't worry, if you are, say, well developed. Your doctor will say it's OK even though he has no really scientific evidence to back it up.

My theory on this is that some pencil neck jogging cardiologist once ran into Mike Tyson coming out of a club at 2:00 AM and said "Yo, Iron MIke, I love your right hook but do you realize you are obese?" After Iron Mike used his head for a speedbag for a few rounds, the cardiologist decided that big guys can weigh whatever they want to weigh.

Oh, well, I am gonna shut up about this. At 6', 185 (32 inch waist), I am technically overweight myself. Hard to argue I am "muscular" when Henry Aaron at 25 played at 6' 180. Aaron had a 28" waist and legendary 9" wrists.

Me at 62... the Great Aaron at 25... hmmmmm..... see, that's my problem with this healthy weight stuff. If Henry Aaron in his prime is the upper limit, that doesn't leave a lot of room for the rest of us, now does it?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement