Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joshbk Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24974  
Subject: Re: Hemispherix, CFS, and politics Date: 7/18/2008 11:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Heck even the CDC, who have a long history of downplaying the severity and stagnating research in the field (and still do), have this to say:

"Symptoms and their consequences can be severe. CFS can be as disabling as multiple sclerosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, congestive heart failure and similar chronic conditions. Symptom severity varies from patient to patient and may vary over time for an individual patient."

They also write that CFS depression and bipolar need to be ruled out, and that "CFS is not caused by depression, although the two illnesses often coexist, and many patients with CFS have no psychiatric disorder."

Mind you, this is the watered down version. Any treating physician in the field will tell you that the latter regarding depression has been known for years and isn't an issue anymore, and that the statement about symptom severity is soft for many of their worst patients, whose impairment more closely resembles late-stage AIDS or chemotherapy patients.

Yes misconceptions abound, and a majority of the public don't think that CFS is serious. But the top doctors in the field, there is a logic to the science, and a clear line of reasoning for why Ampligen has gotten as far as it has, you just have to look a little beyond cdc.gov.

It's exactly these misconceptions about CFS and how to treat it that, I suspect, are reflected in HEB's low price.

Just thinking out loud (afterall I'm new at this)..It seems like you can take general confusion and misconceptions and say, "well it looks like a risky proposition"; or you can do some extra digging (especially if you're fluent in the field) to figure out why the confusion exists - Is it reflective of what CFS actually is, or is it reflective of merely people's perceptions of CFS? Could a diagnosis - creating impairment that apparently can range from congestive heart failure to late-stage HIV - really just be a sham? Are all the treating physicians who are pounding their heads over CFS (afterall, they've also conducted most of the best research) being fooled by patients who are just a little tired?

I've been trying to think a lot about this, going back & forth. And so far I've come to the conclusion public misconceptions reflect people's perceptions of the illness, not the integrity of the construct. The diagnosis is serious and real as rain. And that the group of expert CFS physicians who aren't associated with the CDC know their stuff. For all those reasons I'm thinking that HEB is currently undervalued and that Ampligen will be a success.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement