Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Heck yes. Just attach a copy of your broker's statement which shows the amount of foreign taxes withheld and take the credit.

The foreign tax credit is a nonrefundable credit. The OP stated that he had no tax liability, so claiming the credit without filing the 1116 provides no immediate benefit.

On the other hand, I know that under certain circumstances you can carry forward an unused foreign tax credit if you do file the 1116. Unfortunately, it's been so many years since I had to complete an 1116 that I no longer remember what those circumstances are.

In no event do you attach the broker's statement showing the amount of foreign taxes withheld to your return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.