Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Heck yes. Just attach a copy of your broker's statement which shows the amount of foreign taxes withheld and take the credit.

Hzving been off at an investor education conference since last Thursday, I seem to have missed the firestorm which resulted from my post. <vbg>

Nevertheless, I have to question the directions given above. Why attach unnecessary documentation? Foreign taxes paid are already reported to the IRS on 1099-DIV. There is no need to provide additional paper.


P.S. (yes, I realize not everyone will see this) Anyone interested in a top-notch investor education conference, check out InvestEd 2010, August 6-8, 2010 in Baltimore, MD. ( You can learn more about us by replacing 2010 in the URL with 2008 or 2009 - links to the websites for the previous two conferences.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.