Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: School Date: 9/11/2003 2:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Heh, heh....You are not in the class with me, are you?

LOL! :-) Yeah and I will be pestering you with all types of questions! :-)

I think the average American is under the impression that retirement is for old people and that unless they win the lottery or a rich relative kicks the bucket, they will never have enough money to retire.

Given my circle of family and friends, I would say that statement is pretty accurate. Most of them discuss the desire to be retired early but really have no ideas or plans on how to make that a reality. Some discussions I have had with family and friends indicate that most think they HAVE to work until at least 65 because that is just the way it is. And I am typically not one to offer my opinion/advice unless asked so I don't really push the issue with any of them.

I was just curious why you felt most of the class would not be aware of FIRE. If I am not mistaken, didn't you say this class audience was police officers? Given the pension system in place, there might be more of them that are aware of retirement and what they need to do to get there than in other professions.

Let us know how it goes.

dt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement