Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: halon090 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 377  
Subject: Hello Date: 11/6/2007 4:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone still around here?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 370 of 377
Subject: Re: Hello Date: 11/10/2007 4:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yes, but it sure is quiet.

I recently added this board to my favorites in hope that there were people out there wanting to talk options. Friday I purchased a November spread staddle in Citi and a November staddle in the Nasdaq 100. With the recent ups and downs, I have been unwilling to pick a direction. So, I wait until something I want to own starts moving in one direction and buy the option that corresponds to that direction (e.g., calls when the stock is moving up). Once there is enough of a move (e.g., up), I then buy the option to cover a move in the opposite direction (e.g. down).

I have owned very few staddles over the years. Usually I buy options with a clear price direction in mind (e.g., I have Newmont calls that I purchased last month that expire in two years). But, with the market jurking up and down, it looks to me that the best risk/reward is one that pays for price movement -- not long term direction.

What are you doing?

W.D.

Author: halon090 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 371 of 377
Subject: Re: Hello Date: 11/10/2007 4:26 PM
I haven't a clue on straddles. Need to learn them. I think my thinkorswim account teaches it as well.

I am heavy cash at the moment. I buy calls and puts in the underlying stocks. Typically at the money 4-6 months out looking for a Delta around 62-65. As such that allows me to get the movement of the stock with a small amount of money invested. Have done very well the past few months. I am a technical trader and spend most of my time on the It Is What It Is board.

ny

Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 372 of 377
Subject: Re: Hello Date: 11/30/2007 2:10 PM
I'm out here, too, and am fairly new to options. I'm a "value" investor and I've done the best with buying LEAPS and writing puts on cheap but volatile stocks -- lots of those these days! Oct and Nov helped to finally shoot my account returns way past the S&P500 benchmark. I am also interested in sharing ideas with options in "special situations", mostly buy-backs and spin-offs. To be honest I don't know anything about the greeks or the technicals.

For example, would anyone like to discuss IKN and its options?

Author: amade74 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 373 of 377
Subject: Re: Hello Date: 12/6/2007 7:43 PM
you guys may want to check out gregg thurman over at the apple board. he also has an investment group (i am part of that) that discusses investing in apple options.

i have been following some of his advice (wish i had listened more carefully though, he is up 5000% plus in the last year (i am only up 2000%)... but his tax consequences are a lot lower...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement