Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello again, all. I have a client who I am trying to help out. She is executor of her father's trust. She had opened several CDs in 2007, which were 11 months in term length. The bank where those CDs reside does not pay out interest, nor report interest, on CDs less than 12 months in length, until the maturity date(s).

Does she have to calculate the interest accrued through 12/31/07 and report it on the trust's tax return? Or since the interest is compounding and set to be paid out in 2008, can that just go on 2008's trust tax return?

I would like to have a reference on the IRS website to point her towards. Thanks

Interest paid on term deposits of less than 1 year duration is reported when paid and not as accrued. You should be able to find this in IRS Pub. 550, Investment Income and Expense,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.