Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58635  
Subject: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who know Date: 10/15/2001 3:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Hello all,
I just did my homework (great assignment, btw, Megan! :)), so I thought I would post and say hello. I am regular lurker, not so regular poster. Since we have a ton of new people since I last posted, here's my story: I am 24, 5'11, *new* size 18, and presently 232 according to my Dr's scale this morning. I have lost 14 lbs since June and so I am down a whole size now since oh, Saturday when I bought my new jeans. :) I have to admit, I am a Lane Bryant fiend, but buying jeans is so traumatic, I almost left. All their jeans are made by them, no one else. I tried the stretch jeans, they looked like leggings with a flounce at the bottom (they were bootcut), I tried the hipster, low cut jeans - very comfy, but where they hit me did not look so great, I tried the dark regular, non-stretch boot cut jeans - looked awful. Tried the light regular bootcuts - looked fine. I about cried with joy and left:) Oops, that's one I forgot to add to my list. That was some definite joy, buying jeans a size smaller. :) In other news, I left my crappy job and finished massage therapy school. :) Now I am looking for work and going to the gym almost every day. :) With some luck and planning, I have the finances to not worry about actually working until the beginning of next month.
Okay, I really do have some HIT Qs. I know HIT has been discussed on this board before (afterall, it's where I heard of it!) and someone posted a link to a fabulous FAQ, but I had some Qs that I did not see there. I very much want to get into lifting like that (I am weightlifting again now, but its not much.) Here's the Qs: In HIT, if I am lifting to muscle failure, how am I going to be able to open my locker, get my keys and such and drive home? How long does it take for muscles to recover?

Right now, I am splitting my lifting into two days - back and bi (which includes delts) and then chest and tri (which includes abs). This was recommended to me by a friend in college - we went to the gym together and she learned from her serious weightlifting brother. Is this the correct way of doing things? If so, how does one divide the legs? Thighs and calves or front and back like the upper body?

My workouts, which upto about a week ago when I finished school were only cardio, now are 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer, followed about about 30 minutes or so of lifting/stretching. Does this seem right? I used to do 45 minutes on the elliptical and then 15 or more on the bike as an extended cooldown of sorts. I don't really want to be at the gym for more than 2 hours, but then again, I am trying to lose about 70 more lbs, so I really can do whatever. I am just trying to find the best way. I am going to the gym at least 5 days a week now.

Any advice will be great. I know this post kind fell apart into openness at the end, but I do need the help and apparently my fingers will not let me hide it!

liss
getting ready to wash the gym clothes for tonight
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dejakester Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25508 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/15/2001 4:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
Howdy liss

In HIT, if I am lifting to muscle failure, how am I going to be able to open my locker, get my keys and such and drive home? How long does it take for muscles to recover?

When you are lifting to failure, you are lifting heavy weights, your maximum weight; generally speaking unless you are really really weak, lifting keys and driving do not involve doing a muscular activity to failure, you can do these basic things immediately.

For HIT I recommend that you warm up for 10 minutes or so in a low aerobic mode, then do your weights, then stretch. The muscles generally need at least 1 full day to recover. I do the whole body 2 times a week, which gives my muscles 2 or 3 days between sessions to recover; some people do splits, like upper body one day, lower body another giving the off day group at least one day to recover. When you start out you will be very sore, but eventually as you get more and more trained the duration of the soreness generally subsides.

Right now, I am splitting my lifting into two days - back and bi (which includes delts) and then chest and tri (which includes abs). This was recommended to me by a friend in college - we went to the gym together and she learned from her serious weightlifting brother. Is this the correct way of doing things? If so, how does one divide the legs? Thighs and calves or front and back like the upper body?

What an interesting way to lift. I have always found that I like to do complementary muscles on the same day so I don't wind up walking funny or looking like the hunchback of NotreDame. I personally wouldn't split a leg work out, especially since you can get a pretty good session in with only four exercises: Squats, leg lifts, leg curls and any sort of calf routine.

My workouts, which up to about a week ago when I finished school were only cardio, now are 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer, followed about about 30 minutes or so of lifting/stretching. Does this seem right?

I personnally prefer to do cardio and weight training on different days. In fact there are zealots out there who say you can't effectively improve both at the same time; I disagree, as long as you aren't training for Ms Musclebound America or for running a Marathon you can do both, but not on the same day. High intesity cardio will sap your weight training routine and vice versa. My current whole body weight training routine with the 10-minute warmup and stretching at the end only takes me an hour. Doing that 2 times a week leaves me 5 other days to do cardio. I take one day off every week and do High Intensity Cardio for 20 minutes back off doing lower intensity cardio for 10-40 minutes more on those days. If you want to do an upper lower body weight training split, I would just alternate upper body cardio lowerbody cardio etc... if you take a day off then every other week you do more upper (lower) body more. I have heard that even with 3-4 days between sessions you can still acheive results. Even if you can't make it to the gym, if I were you I would try to up the ante to 6 days a week.

70 pounds is a lot of weight. I started off 3 years ago, and I have only lost about 44 pounds (bouncing down and up of course), about 34 of it this year. When I started I was in pathetic shape. At the beginning of this year, I was in much better physical shape than I had been in the past, but I was still quite fat. You can lose more than me, maybe someone else on this board can give you a better tale of pounds off in a year. (Hint, hint)

Take it slow and be dedicated and you will succeed. At maximum of 2 pounds a week that would be 35 weeks-your minimum time; you will probably take longer. For me the last ten have been a muther; but I am much happier with my appearance than I have been in a long time.

Keep checking in here. I attribute much of my success of sticking with my program, as well as getting back on the horse ASAP when I get thrown, to my participation in this board. Even when I am not actively losing it, I find just reading about others losing it is motivation for me to get back with the program. We are the nicest board at the Fool. Keep checking in.

Floser on-Jakester.

Author: KenpoKate Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25513 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/15/2001 5:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hi liss!

Here's the Qs: In HIT, if I am lifting to muscle failure, how am I going to be able to open my locker, get my keys and such and drive home? How long does it take for muscles to recover?

Heh... I used to worry about that. I got over it by going to the gym with someone who could drive home if I got into trouble.

"Failure" is when those muscles can't lift that weight at that angle any more. If you really roasted a muscle set, you'll shake for a few minutes until your body gets glucose back to the area. (Be sure you're drinking water and giving your body the fuel it needs to shorten this process.) It only takes a couple of minutes to recover from failure. But if you hit it, you should be sore in the next 1 to 48 hours. If it's your first time doing an exercise, even if the muscles are strong doing related exercises, you will probably be extra sore.

I split my workouts between legs and abs one day and upper body and back the others.

On leg days I do squats (or lunges), leg extension, leg curl, calf raises, situps.

On upper body, I do chest press (barbell or dumbell), flyes, assisted pullups, dips, bicep curls, and back extension.

I salt moderate cardio throughout my days by walking the dog, taking the stairs, walking to the store, parking farther away from the building, etc. Three days a week I do 20 minutes of high intensity interval cardio. I also throw in two recreational aerobic sessions a week... which are karate classes for me. They're a complete break from all the other workouts, are fun, and are a chance to interact with other people.

I stretch constantly.

Hope this helps!

- KK

Author: bookgrrrl Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Winner! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25514 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/15/2001 6:00 PM
Recommendations: 10
You can lose more than me, maybe someone else on this board can give you a better tale of pounds off in a year. (Hint, hint)

85 in 11 months. Holy crap! Is that true?! Hang on, lemme count here ... mmm ... mmm hmm ... hmmm ... yeah, 85 in 11 months, from a size 22 to a size 8 in a suit. Jeez. And I'm making progress on my last 10 to go.

*snifsnif* It almost makes me teary-eyed, you know?

Author: dejakester Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25520 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/15/2001 9:35 PM
Recommendations: 1
Weigh to go bookgrrrl!

I only lost 18 to 8 in sizes.

Keep on keeping off-Jakester

Author: Camille9847 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25528 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/16/2001 9:29 AM
*blink*

*blink*

85 in 11 months??? How the Heck did you manage that???

Camille

Author: bookgrrrl Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Winner! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25532 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/16/2001 12:50 PM
Recommendations: 96
85 in 11 months??? How the Heck did you manage that???

I call it "Bookgrrrl's Non-Intuitive Approach to Fat Loss in Ten Easy Steps For Women Who Are a Bit Broad in the Beam":

1. Eat more food. Semi-starvation causes your metabolism to slow down, and causes your body to hold on to fat cells with an iron grip. If you want to lose fat, you'll need to keep your metabolism humming along. More importantly, you won't have the energy to exercise if you don't eat, and exercise is key.

2. Eat all day long. Eating three evenly-spaced large meals tends to elicit blood sugar swings (dips between calorie-dense meals, surges after - and surges in blood sugar lead to more insulin released into your bloodtsream, which in turns causes your body to hold onto its fat cells with an iron grip). Spacing your food out over the whole day keeps your metabolism working efficiently, promotes blood sugar stabilization, and prevents hunger. However, stop eating after 6 pm or so. Not going to bed full means that you will wake up hungry, which is a good thing, since you want to eat a lot in the morning. More importantly, if your body has to digest food while you sleep, it won't be able to do all the other essential things it must do, like repair damaged cells, clear out waste and toxins, assist your immune system, and burn fat. Yes! While you sleep! And speaking of sleep, make sure you get enough - sleep aids in fat loss.

3. Eat more fat. Polyunsaturated fats like flax oil actually help the body burn fat for fuel. These fats also lower blood pressure and blood sugar, satiate hunger, supply energy for exercise, and slow tumor growth in lab animals (and hence may prevent cancer). See Udo Erasmus' great book, "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill," for an in-depth scientific analysis. (Health warning: always read all ingredients and NEVER NEVER NEVER eat anything that has "partially hydrogenated" oil in it, including "low fat" ice creams). Dejakester wrote an excellent post on EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids) a while ago - dejakester, cue the link!

4. Stay away from refined carbs, such as white bread, white flour products, "white" pasta, etc. Look at the list of ingredients when you buy breads or pasta - if the first word isn't "whole" (as in "whole wheat flour" or "whole grain flour" or "whole grain kamut"), then don't buy it. And don't fall for that "enriched" crap either - "enriched wheat flour" don't cut it. Remember - first word = "whole," or you won't pay good money for it. Also, get the majority of your carbs from vegetables and, to a slightly lesser extent, fruits. I limit lyself to one serving of starchy carbs per day. Of course, I define "one serving" liberally: two slices of whole wheat toast with almond butter, a serving of whole-grain waffles, a pile of whole wheat pancakes, and so on. Nonetheless, I eat my starchy carbs in the morning, and the rest of the day I stuff my face with vegetables and fruits.

5. Stay away from refined sugar. Refined sugar is evil, evil, evil. I have about one dessert per week. OK, so it tends to be an enormous dessert - a huge sundae, a huge piece of pie, whatever. The point is, 6 days out of 7, I don't add sugar to my food. Sugar saps energy, causes enormous blood sugar swings (leading to blah blah blah fat cells with an iron grip), contains no nutrients, and all sorts of other evil things. If you must add sugar to food, restrict it to 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of sugar per day, preferably a plant-based sugar that has not had all its naturally-occurring nutrients bleached out of it (e.g. maple syrup or maple sugar).

6. Don't count calories. The idea that a given item of food has a set number of calories, and that these calories can be definitively "counted," is ridiculous. See Annemarie Colbin's great book, "Food and Healing," for an in-depth analysis. Calorie counting is stupid and unproductive and a huge waste of time (caveat: JMHO).

7. Get most of your protein from these cold-water fatty fish: trout, salmon, tuna, eel, mackeral, and sardines (I remember it as an acronym: T-STEMS). Poultry raised without hormones is also OK in moderate amounts. Avoid red meat - it's a great protein source, but a poor protein package due to all the saturated fat.

8. Begin a program of intense weight-training. No machines, only free weights. High weights, low reps, perfect form. Muscle burns calories while at rest, and hence naturally boosts your matbolism. You cannot get healthy and fit without increasing your lean muscle mass. Once you have added a reasonable amount of muscle mass, your new muscle will begin burning your fat stores even while you are sleeping. Pretty kewl, eh? See www.stumptuous.com/weights.html for more information.

9. Begin a program of moderate-intensity cardio 3 times per week. When you are fit enough, bag the moderate-intensity routine and begin a program of high-intensity interval training, two to three times per week. Go to www.stumptuous.com/weights.html and click on "fartlek" for more information.

10. Love yourself. Love your fat cells. Love every little hair on your head. Marvel at how your body does all of its wonderous work so effortlessly. Look at your beautiful legs - ain't they grand? Don't they carry you wherever you want to go? Refuse to insult or disrespect yourself with all that crap you used to do - starving yourself, depriving yourself, ignoring your body's signals. Look, grrly, whatever weight you're at, it ain't your body's fault - your body told you when it was hungry, but you didn't listen cuz you were on some dumbass "diet." Can your body be blamed if, after days of semi-starvation, it drove you insane with hunger and you ended up binging? It told you what it needed, but you didn't listen to it. So whose fault is that? From now on, when you're hungry, YOU WILL EAT. When you're tired, YOU WILL SLEEP. In fact, you will apologize to your body for all the tortuous things you've done to it in the past, all the times you insulted it, all the mean things you said to it, all the times it was begging you for good food and you didn't listen. You will recognize that your body is exceptionally wise and intelligent, and that it will tell you exactly how to lose weight, if only you'll shut your cake hole for a single minute and listen to it.

Bookgrrrl's Basic Principle: your body will return to its natural state of balanced weight, adequate strength and energy, and good health just as soon as you let it by supplying it with the tools it needs to get the job done. In brief: give your body good tools and then just get out of the way.

bookgrrrl

Author: Camille9847 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25538 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/16/2001 1:44 PM
Bookgrrl--

you know, I have done elements of this, but never all together. I need to ponder this, I think...

Camille

Author: penname One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25544 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/16/2001 3:05 PM
Recommendations: 3
Bookgrrl, WOW! I printed off your post so I could read it again more carefully when I have time. Thank you for compiling so much good, sensible information.
Penny

Author: StickleyFan5 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25547 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/16/2001 4:24 PM
I printed it as well.

I've been interested in weight training for quite some time but never stuck with it. I think I'd like to try it again.

Thanks Bookgrrl!

Kathleen

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25548 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/16/2001 5:02 PM
85 in 11 months. Holy crap! Is that true?! Hang on, lemme count here ... mmm ... mmm hmm ... hmmm ... yeah, 85 in 11 months, from a size 22 to a size 8 in a suit. Jeez. And I'm making progress on my last 10 to go.

*snifsnif* It almost makes me teary-eyed, you know?

That is incredible! Congrats, bookgrrl! I need to print that out for inspiration!

Ishtar

Author: dejakester Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25552 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/16/2001 9:20 PM
bookgrrrl asked me to cue this link; here you are.

Essential Fatty Acids Link.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14920529

Jakester

Author: MathLady One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25575 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/17/2001 12:47 PM
85 in 11 months

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Bookgrrl, you are AMAZING! INCREDIBLE! AWESOME!

I am in awe.

MathLady
unsure of whether to be inspired, or start crying over her "5 pounds in 3 months" statistics... don't worry, I'm leaning towards inspiration

Author: skarolek Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25587 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/17/2001 2:19 PM
Any advice will be great.

- Massage therapy takes a lot out of the practitioner - take care of yourself!

- Get a good table! (I like Golden Ratio, bought one for home :)

Steve K

(probably not the type of advice you were looking for but hopefully not totally useless)

Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25598 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/17/2001 11:13 PM
Hi Steve,
Just wanted to let you know.. Being a soon-to-be-CMT, it's one of the driving factors for me to be healthy and lose all the excess weight. I am hard on myself and my body, only when I don't have clients the next day! :) Right now though I am not working, so I wanted to get a "headstart" on what to do in the gym so I have something to adapt when I get a work schedule again! But I do appreciate the advice.
My table is an Earthlite Spirit in a gorgeous hunter green color... in its handy carry case, it *just* fits in the trunk of my little Civic! :) I love it though.

Thanks again,
liss

Author: KrisWH Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25612 of 58635
Subject: Re: hello again, and WL/HIT Qs for those who kno Date: 10/18/2001 7:46 PM
That was a great post, full of wonderful information. I do have to comment on one thing:

See Udo Erasmus' great book, "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill," for an in-depth scientific analysis.

I didn't find that book very scientific. It had some science stuff, but it also has tons of really crappy science. The basic message(s) are probably true, but I wouldn't consider it scientific or convincing.
The basic messages I thought were important:
(1) Unrefined oil is best.
(2) You need essential fatty acids, and you may not be getting enough omega-3 EFA.
(3) Saturated fat and transfat, not fats in general, are the bad guys.

Kris

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement