UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: snoopy33 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76392  
Subject: Re: 401K Success Tax Date: 2/24/1998 12:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello again,

Earlier I asked:

<<On my quest to become Foolish, I've been thinking
about the Fed's 'Success Taxes' ...

Has this been discussed here with possible
approaches to Foolish 401K/IRA planning
with regards to minimizing/eliminating the
success tax?>>

TMFPixy was kind enough to reply:

The "success" tax was a 15% excise tax on what used to be called "excess" distributions
from or accumulations of retirement monies in IRAs or plans. Those taxes were repealed in
the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 and are no longer a planning issue or concern.

But correct me if I'm wrong here but I recently read:

------------------------------------------------------
(http://biz.yahoo.com/taxes/xsdistr.html)

The limits on how much money you can withdraw from your retirement plan without incurring a
penalty have been suspended for 1997, 1998 and 1999. For several years there has been a limit on the
amount of money you can withdraw each year from your retirement plan(s) without getting hit with
an "excess distribution" penalty of 15% on the excess amount. For 1996 the limit is $155,000 for
IRA distributions and non-lump sum distributions ($775,000 for qualifying lump-sum
distributions), beyond which you'll pay the penalty.

In the last year or so, however, some taxpayers whose plan assets were invested in stocks have seen a
sharp increase in the amounts accumulated in their retirement accounts, causing many people to
potentially be subject to excess distribution penalties when they withdraw the minimum required
distribution. The suspension of the excess distribution penalty will allow taxpayers to withdraw
funds for the next three years in sufficient amounts to allow reduction of the retirement account
balances to a level where penalty imposition will be avoidable when the penalty is reinstated in the
year 2000.

------------------------------------------------------

Has the excess distribution tax been eliminated or has
it only been 'put on hold' for the next three years and
will resume again in the year 2000?

Since I'm still a fair number of years of retiring,
I'm interested in this.

Thanks in advance

snoopy33

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement