Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello again! :-) I just visited the IRS wesite and used the withholding calculator, which told me if I earn $108,000 and I have $13,000 contribution to a tax-deferred retirement plan, my estimated federal tax is going to be just over $19,000. Well golly-gee-willikers! I'm already at $11,052. (I also looked for the tax tables but I couldn't find them; link, anyone?) It also told me at my current rate of withholding, based on what I entered from my last paycheck, I'll have paid $6700 too much in federal taxes.

If you've had $11K withheld through the end of July and your income is relatively level throughout the year, you will only have just over $19K in total withholdings...right about where you expect your liability will be.

Withholding tables can be found in IRS Pub. 15, Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide,

Of course, I don't wish to do that. But I work strictly on commission, and as far as I know, I am taxed at the highest earning level no matter what my W-4 says. Does anone know what I might be able to do to get some of my money before next February? (As in, getting it in my 5 remaining paychecks for this year?)

No, you are not withheld at the highest level regardless of what your W-4 says. Either your employer follows your W-4 or, under certain circumstances, applies a flat 25% withholding rate to your payments. (The top rate is currently 35%). If your employer follows the withholding tables (ie, follows your W-4), you can file a new W-4 showing more withholding allowances. If your employer uses a flat 25%, there is nothing you can do other than file an early return for a swift refund.

If it makes any difference, I live in California (hahaha...which means I should have the federal gov't hold a little more of my money than necessary, just so I can send that "return" directly to the state of CA when I find out I owe them money, like the past 2 years).
Print the post  

In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.