Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello All,

I'm in my late-20s with a small mutual fund portfolio I put together five years ago through American Funds and Van Kampen via Edward Jones. I opted for a general account with Class A shares and not for an IRA or Roth IRA, as I was unsure at the time exactly how long I would be keeping the investments for and, ultimately, what the money was actually going to be used for.

Now that I am considering earmarking the investments for retirement, I'm interested to know the tax implications of selling my shares and/or moving the funds into an IRA or Roth. Is it at all possible to roll from a general account into an IRA? Is the initial tax hit going to offset tax savings? We're not talking about a whole lot of money here -- the entire portfolio is worth ~$5000.

Any advice would be appreciated!

-Narn Ceredir

It's a shame you chose the General account (I presume, a taxable account) rather than a Roth IRA. Even if you were not sure on the plans for the funds, the Roth IRA offered the opportunity to withdraw the contributions with no tax or penalty. What's done is done, so let's move forward.

Contributions to an IRA have to be cash, so you would have to sell the funds and make a cash contribution to fund the IRA. The tax bite depends on a couple of items
1. The sum of your contributions (or the basis of the account), B
2. When the gains (or losses) accrued.
- Gains in the first 4 years would get taxed at long-term (LT) capital gains rate 15%
- Gains less than a year old, would get taxed at a short-term capital gains rate.

Your reference document for IRA matters (Traditional or Roth) is Pub 590
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p590/index.html

You get an immediate tax benefit from making contributions to a traditional IRA, but you have to determine whether your income level allows you to make a contribution to a traditional IRA (Information in Pub 590).

Hohum
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement