No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello fleg9bo,

I don't often comment on the RECF board, but I thought I'd add a few words about Portland, since I live here.

I had no intention of defending the "MAX Line", which is the newish Portland electric train system. But this Wikipedia page cites Portland's rail system as having the fourth highest ridership among American municipal rail systems, with 123,000 "boardings" per day. Not bad for the 24th best metropolitan area in the country.

What I did want to say is how nice my chosen hometown is. I moved to Portland from the San Francisco Bay Area about twenty years ago, and it's a terrific place to live. In our case, careful urban planning has been very successful, and the growth (both industrial and residential) of the Tualatin Valley west of Portland has been well executed.

Unfortunately for people like me, who appreciate having lots of wide open spaces, the Portland metropolis is almost certain to grow substantially over the next 25 years. Maybe I'll have to move further out to compensate. For now, Portland and the surrounding area is fantastic.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement