No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools,

Here's a tidbit of information that I got off a message board from

"...You do not need to report your regular Roth contributions on the Form 8606. The financial organization where you open your Roth will notify the IRS of your contribution by way of a Form 5498. However, it is still the IRA holder's responsibility to keep track of contributions and conversions so KEEP YOUR STATEMENTS AND PAPERWORK!!!!!"

I hope this helps. I guess all the Roth IRA contribution reporting is in the hands of your financial institution. I hope they don't make any mistakes! My questions are these:

1) When is this Form 5498 sent to the IRS?

2) I have a Roth IRA set up with Vanguard. My account shows my original 1998 Roth IRA $2K contribution, but there is no evidence that taxes have been deducted. When will this tax deduction take place?

Thanks for your help,

Print the post  


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.