Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hello Hal:

Generally speaking, a stock needs to be worth 2x to 2.5x the trustees basis for the NUA election to pay off. Just a word of caution, there are rules to getting this done right so I would advise seeking some professional help. Secondly, there is no way to make the NUA election (which does require that a taxable event tax place) and at the same time roll those shares into an IRA. Thirdly, based on your age you would will have to pay regular income tax at your marginal rate (not your nominal rate) on the trustee's basis in those shares. Lastly, you may or may not have to pay the 10% surtax based on the facts & circumstances of your disability.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.