No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello IglooFool...

I am a Canadian citizen working in the United States on a TN-1 visa. I've been working for over 3 years now and have amassed money that I should start some retirement savings with. The popular options seem to be 401k and Roth IRA. I don't have plans for moving back to Canada but with layoffs and general uncertainty about the job market nowadays, that just might happen whether I plan it or not. :-(

Question: what would happen to my 401k and Roth IRA if I move back to Canada? I do have a SSN # in the United States. Is this SSN with me for life whether or not I'm resident in the U.S.?

Not easy questions to answer! The US Laws concerning Social Security and taxation are long, drawn out, and not easy to reference specific items sometimes. Most are also obviously geared to the US Citizen whether in country or abroad. Sooooo...all I can offer are a couple of sites to peruse:

Hopefully, a fellow Canadian with a similar situation as yours will see your post and have some definitive answers for you.

I wish you good luck and that your personal, as well as professional, experiences in this country are good ones.

Print the post  


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.