Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: edkohler Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15587  
Subject: Re: Yahoo charging for listings? Date: 11/18/2001 6:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hello Maraith,

this change ($199-$299) took place at the end of the summer. In my opinion, it was partly in response to Looksmart moving their submission fees up to $299 as well. (it's $600 for Adult content, but that shouldn't stop the most profitable online industry from getting listed.)

I work in the Web Marketing industry, so I'm often asked about whether it's worth paying to submit a site to Yahoo. The link below explains why it's a simple "yes" for anyone trying to run a business online.

http://haystackinaneedle.com/cgi-bin/faq/smartfaq.cgi?answer=1003177443&id=1003176438

Of course, things are always changing fast in the search engine positioning industry. For example, the addition of paid search listings on Yahoo will dilute the value of a Yahoo listing and increase the value of using Overture for paid search term marketing. However, Yahoo MAY make more money syndicating Overture listings than they are making maintaining their own directory.

Yahoo has improved the format of their search results over the past few months, and I feel that it has improved the quality of results. The combination of Sponsored results (often very relative to the search term or why would people buy them), Yahoo directory results, and Google.com results bring a lot of relavent results together for users. I'm confident that Yahoo users will find quality results for their searches using Yahoo, which is key. Without that, users will not set Yahoo as their homepage.

One other point - Why doesn't Yahoo run a campaign to explain how to set Yahoo as a user's homepage? I bet 1/2 of their user base doesn't know how to do this and would be an easy thing to do to gain more return visitors.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement