UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jpkiljan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757043  
Subject: Re: Self-directed Roth IRA Date: 2/6/2000 3:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Mercer,
You can open a Roth IRA account at a discount broker adn just plunk the money into Spiders (AMEX: SPY) and have 'pert-neer' the same thing as the VG500 fund, but you will also have the option to easily trade individual stocks (such as the Foolish Four) or other index funds such as those based upon the NASDQ 100 (Amex: QQQ) when you feel more cofident and your contributions have grown a bit. I opened one with TD Waterhouse and no complaints yet. On-line trades are $12. I think there are lots of other good ones out there and the MF board has a section dedicated to the discount brokers as I recall.

As you have already said, the biggest benefit may be that you learn to do early what you are probably going to be doing sooner or later and having some fun while doing it.

Good luck,
-- John

Mercer wrote:
I'm going to open a Roth IRA this year and have been planning on socking the money away in Vanguard's Index 500. After
reading the many interesting posting here and on other boards on TMF, I'm starting to think that it may be more lucrative,
intellectually challenging, and fun to may my own investment decisions.

Where are the recommend institutions for this kind of things? Schwab? Vanguard? Others?

Thank you in advance for your advice...

nmb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement