Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Phil et al-

You mentioned publication 560 to get info on self-employed retirement plans, but can you tell me the pub for instructions on what to do with income from a side job where no taxes or anything have been withheld?

Someone I know has worked outside their day job for a company that has not collected any income tax, FICA, or OASDHI from the side-earned wages. I understand from the previous poster that Schedule SE has to be filed to pay SS tax on the side income (I think), but what else?

I thought that merely by adding the W-2 wages from the side job to AGI would cause the appropriate tax to be charged from the look-up in the tables in the booklet. I forgot about SS...

Sorry for the dumb question, but any further info on what must be done in this situation would be greatly appreciated - I don't think the TMF tax book covered this situation, but that's going purely from memory-

Thanks in advance -
JK
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement