No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello T, and welcome to the Fool.

Sorry about your divorce. That must be very hard.
Congrats, though, on you're new endeavor to learn to manage your own finances. It's a great thing.

You sound like you're doing a pretty good job. Generally, there's an order to do things that people recommend:

1. Have 3-6 months of living expenses saved in an Emergency Fund.
You seem to have this, the only advice I would give here is to perhaps think about putting it in a higher interest bearing MoneyMarket Account. I have mine at Netbank (www.netbank.com) and I'm very happy with them.

2. Max out your employer retirement up to matching.
You're doing that with your 403B. Good for you.

3. Contribute the max to an IRA.
You're doing that. And both your 403 and IRA are at TIAA-CREF...a very good choice. You say it's in agressive funds -- which ones?

4. Then, and only then, start investing into taxable investments.
Somebody else mentioned a good index fund. VTSMX is good, as is TIAA's TCEIX.

Of course, way up on the list is get rid of credit card debt. I left that out because you have none. Good for you! GREAT for you!

I think you're doing a great job. It's a good thing you're here on the Fool. You'll learn a lot here. Just keep reading and learning. Managing your own finances is actually pretty fun. I can recommend two books: "Mutual Funds for Dummies" and "Personal Finance for Dummies." Both are by Eric Tyson and both are really good for getting over that initial hump of "what exactly am I suppose to be doing?"

I hope this helps.

Caat
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement