No. of Recommendations: 14
I paid off my Fashion Bug charge in full on the 1st. I also have a new to me apartment with my son and my former roomate, the infamous houseguy.
I graduate from college on the 18th of December with a fine GPA. Graduate school starts in the spring of 2013.
And...
I go on Social Security in February.

How is everyone else doing?

wild :)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
wildgirl,

You wrote, How is everyone else doing?

Doing well. Recently took a new job in the Seattle area. Bought a townhouse here. Big move from north Dallas. Lots of changes. Lots of rain. Lots of problems with the house - some expected, some not. Spending (a big chunk of) my life's savings on it. ;-)

Here's to hoping 2013 will be more settled ... and less expensive.

- Joel
No. of Recommendations: 2

I'm free of credit card debt. The only loans I have are on my car (under $5K) and my home (and I have about 22% equity based on other houses sold in the area).

My fiance and I split a year ago next month... a year or so before that (when things were happy and we were looking at flowers and venues), we choose (and I bought) a home we could grow a family into in a nice suburb with good schools ... Now I'd like to sell it because emotionally I don't want to be there, and financially it's a heavy burden to carry when I don't need that space. I won't get back what I put in to it because many of the improvements were for livability and long term savings (like windows, doors, insulation, etc)...

My company is planning lay offs which have me nervous. If I lose my job before selling the house it will put me into a bad position, I'd need to find a similar paying job within ~6 months or I'd be in trouble, though I'm not counting unemployment.

I just paid all the up front insurance/service costs for heating oil deliveries ($400)... my new ceiling price ($4.00/G) for delivery means that it turns out that I've been under-saving for it over the past year, so if I need more than 600G this season (which is possible) I will come up short--not a big deal, but I like I staying in budget.

The car needs a timing belt soon.

I gained 5lbs in the past month too, which puts me about 20-25lbs overweight :-/ ... You'd think that would mean I could spend less on food, but it's quite the opposite :-D
No. of Recommendations: 1
Wildgirl,

Heartiest congratulations on the degree. It's been about eight years since I saw your last post, and it's great to see you finished climbing the ladder to the top.

We finished getting out of debt in 2007 and have stayed that way. I sometimes miss the good old days on these boards but Lord, I don't want to be back in the debt mess again.

Best Wishes,
Jim
My sad old Wild Ram hit 150K miles today, so I am concerned about the long commute to graduate school (140 mile) round trip. But, it keeps on running, so perhaps I can get more time out of it. I hope!

I started my new college in 2009 in the summertime. Years later, for they only took 75 of my credits, all this is finished.

I am going into Education, for there are generous offers for low income school service to reduce student loan debt.

Most important, I never went to the dark side on private student loans.

wild :)
No. of Recommendations: 3

SInce we have last had an exchange- how to sum up?

I laughed, I cried, I fought with the usher...
the elf just turned 13, the boy is almost 23, the years keep coming for me as well and the X persists, despite his myriad health issues. (and in many ways reminds me of HG)
I have only mortgage debt, but I roll $2-$5k through the cards every month for work related travel, I might also be a little spendy on wine.
Currently working in the lands of Nether.
In the process of buying a house for my (not quite)MIL in the next few months. GoMC and I are doing well.
Have a car with 250k miles on it that is going strong, so i will have faith in the Ram to get you where you need to go.
in the last 3 years I have been an employee, laid off, unemployed, underemployed, overemployed, now a contractor (which is Just right, Goldilocks)

peace & aren't you glad you asked
t
Wild! It's been forever!

< waves madly >

Congratulations on the degree and good luck with your new career. I hope grad school goes well.

I'm still with Gerald. We've been married 9 years now. No kids (infertility). He was laid off 3 years ago, spent a long time under-employed and is now working on a contract basis but being paid employee rates for it. Still, it's the first reasonable money he's been paid since 2009 and they want to keep him for as long as possible. When he started working for them, I made him save a quarter of his take-home-pay so he's building up a nice cash cushion for when the job finishes. (And he sees the wisdom of it.)

Me - I left systems training back in 2005 and went back to accounts. Got laid off at the end of 2006, immediately went to work on a big construction project that, like a zombie, now refuses to die (we left site nearly 2 years ago). It's had the last rites; been staked through the heart; the will has been read; and still something crosses my desk every week about it. :o)

Stayed with my new employer and been promoted twice. Although work is incredibly stressful at the moment (it's forecast season), I worked out yesterday that this strange, almost relaxed feeling I've got is "contentment".

My little Toy car has clocked 263,000 miles in 12 years. Just had a new starter motor and should keep going for many miles to come according to the mechanic. The radio is a bit dodgy and I have to get a new widget for him for my MP3 player, but otherwise all is good.

On the finance front, we've got cash in the bank and we've just remortgaged which has decreased our monthly house payment by a quarter. In 2013, we might possibly get that new kitchen and bathroom I've been dreaming about for the last 9 years.

Take care of yourself, Wild.

- Pam
That's great that you're graduating!

I'm doing all right. Been working at the same job since 2003. It's good.

I broke up with the boyfriend, moved out & bought a house on the other side of town. Probably picked a bad year to do it, but the house is OK, the neighbors are all right & the payments are not bad - about what I'd pay for a 2 bedroom apartment in the old neighborhood. And it's been educational.

The car got totaled (it is not hard to total a 15.5 year old subcompact especially if it is hit by a truck) and I bought a used car to replace it.

Otherwise, no big news.
One year ago my DH and I left Phoenix for the pacific northwest. We settled in the cute little village of Poulsbo and DH commutes to Seattle by ferry. I got a job locally that I enjoy a lot. We have money in the bank and no credit card or mortgage debt, although I am helping my youngest through college. We are loving life right now.

I still lurk on your boards so I knew most of your news dear Wild :-)

Barbara

My daughter needed braces and I chose to pay cash and avoid the finance charge/automatic withdraws (which was the only other choice). I hated taking that money from savings, but not as much as I hate the alternative. Insurance paid 50%.

The house needed some work and I had to put a few hundred $$ on my Lowes Card (at 0% financing for 18 months).

I started doing the Dave Ramsey "Get out of debt" plan and things are moving along slowly. Christmas was all paid with cash. It will be a modest holiday though.

I am getting a promotion on the 16th, and I have decided to put the payraise straight toward paying down debt. I've managed to live on my current salary for this long, so I won't actually miss it. I mean...I'll miss it and wish it was disposable income, but in the long run, being debt free will make me happier than anything I could buy right now.

The local Honda dealership called and they "need good, quality used cars to resupply their stock". They offered me a "great deal" to trade in my current car on a brand new CRV or Crosstour, with a low interest rate, a free extended warranty and, of course, coupons for discounted scheduled maintenance. I told them I wasn't interested in trading in my car, but if they send me the coupons I will bring them my scheduled maintenance business. He said he'd talk to the manager. Not going to hold my breath on those coupons.
No. of Recommendations: 3
OH!! You meant personally how are we doing. Well, since we last spoke:

My life went to crap and has slowly been recovering.

I left the Air Force in 2004 and DH got stationed in England, which meant I got to meet up with Pippney Jane at the Knit and Stitch shows in London twice, and a couple of times we met up for lunch/shopping. (yay!)

I had a baby. She is now a sassy 8 year old and she cracks me up.

I couldn't find a job for about 2 years. I was able to stay home with my daughter, but my technical skills suffered and when I started back to work, I had to start at the bottom and work my way up.

We moved back to the states and I took a very low paying job with a really witchy boss. I was there for about 1.5 years before getting hired on as a Defense contractor.

My ex-husband and I got a divorce in 2010. It was a bad marriage from the start and I was stubbornly trying to make it work. He had anger management issues. I eventually gave up when he viciously and loudly cussed me out in Walmart for saying I liked colored lights on the Christmas tree instead of white lights. I mean, that wasn't the only instance, that was just the icing on the cake. The last straw. The final block in the Jenga tower...etc. (boooo!)

I had some really awful jobs and some really wonderful jobs.
I got hired on as Civil Service in 2009 and that was my favorite job of all times. It was also very low paying. So I eventually took a better paying job that sucked donkeys and made me very sad and paranoid. I worked hard and got promoted out of that crap position into a great position in computer security...which I love. Awesome co-workers. Awesome boss, another promotion pending for next week (yay!)

I bought a house. (yay!)

I had a boyfriend for about 2 years. I really liked him, but he wasn't willing to put any sort of effort into the relationship and it just sort of faded away. Been broken up about two months now. (booo)

I still have the same cat (Sophie). She is like Dick Clark. She is >14 years old and still has a little kitten face. She got really grouchy though.

I am sort of in work/life nirvana....or close to it really. I love my job, my little house makes me happy, my little girl is happy, well adjusted and is doing great in school. She bounced back from the divorce like a champ and has never made below an A on her report cards. She is getting a kitten for Christmas. If I die suddenly, Sophie, the older cat will be your prime suspect. Seriously.
FlippoHip,

You wrote, I still have the same cat (Sophie). She is like Dick Clark. She is >14 years old and still has a little kitten face. She got really grouchy though.

House cats routinely live 20+ years. I had to put my last cat down when he was 17. (I got him when he was only a year old.) He probably would have lived longer; but he was an indoor / outdoor cat that didn't do well once he was no longer healthy enough to beat up the other neighborhood cats.

My current cats are indoors; but they were rescue cats and came with health issues. Hopefully they'll both live another decade or more. And hopefully they won't cost us too much in vet care.

- Joel
No. of Recommendations: 0
House cats routinely live 20+ years.

Yup. I know. I was just saying that she still looks like a kitten. Big eyes, big ears, little nose. Kittenish.
No. of Recommendations: 4
How am I doing? Good question.

Let's see.

I have acquired one grand-niece and two grandnephews.

In 2009 my mother had a bad fall and a small stroke, and had to move to a senior citizen community.

In January of 2011 I developed a shoulder infection that required emergency surgery and left me with a permanently torn rotator cuff. Two weeks after I made it back to work I slipped on the subway and my leg went into the space between the platform and the car, which resulted in tearing every muscle in the lower part of the leg and denting the bone.

In September of 2011 I was laid off from the best job I ever had. I finally got a temp assignment this week.

I June my mother called me because she had gout and was in agony. I spent the summer driving back and forth in order to help her. At the end of August she had a stroke and she died in early September.

Those are sort of the highlights. I know it sounds as though life was awful, but really, most of it has been bearable. Mom was 95 when she died, and she told us, and wrote it in her health care proxy and everywhere possible that she didn't want to be kept alive on tubes. She also didn't want any of her kids (she really meant me, but was covering all bases) to spend his or her life Taking Care of Mom. She wasn't going to have it.

And there are good times, too. A good family, friends, nice landlords who supplied me with dinner when I was recuperating from the shoulder surgery are all part of the good times.

Nancy
No. of Recommendations: 0
Me:

finished working in the bureaucracy (was making me crazy)
have hiked and bicycled in season
Mom died, Darling Daughter married (I became an honorary great-grandmother), Sis has granddaughter
started telling stories again - hope to start writing again

invested in a nice bow for the fiddle, gave away the autoharp, loaned the tiny keyboard

Met a Fool in Portland OR for coffee
and another in Anchorage AK for hot chocolate

YeilB
Wild!!

I am late to this thread because I'm almost never around any more, but I couldn't resist saying "Hi" and "Heartiest congratulations on your graduation!"

We are still debt-free except the mortgage, which is down to a ridiculously low number and which we just refinanced again to get a ridiculously low rate. DS is now a college graduate and a Marine, stationed in Japan, where we visited him last month on our way home from an amazing vacation in Vietnam and Cambodia. (Yes, we saved up and paid cash for the whole deal!) DH and I are enjoying our empty nest and are happy to have our debt issues far, far behind us.

Wishing you all the best in the new year!
No. of Recommendations: 4
DS is now a college graduate and a Marine, stationed in Japan, where we visited him last month on our way home from an amazing vacation in Vietnam and Cambodia. (Yes, we saved up and paid cash for the whole deal!) DH and I are enjoying our empty nest and are happy to have our debt issues far, far behind us.

Please thank your DS for his service on behalf of the South East Texas Patriot Guard Riders.

LWW
Advertisement