Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ultrabrite Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 551  
Subject: Re: Flextronics Follows the Vertical Leader Date: 9/24/2006 10:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hello Tim:

I've been watching this company for the last 2 years but I really don't have a lot of insight into it. I like the fact it sells for a market capitalization roughly half of its annual revenue and that it appears to be enjoying increased demand for its services. However I had bought some shares at a price of $13.33 in June 2005 and I ended up taking a loss on them. After the shares dropped sharply in October 2005 I bought more under $10 and was able to sell those shares for around $12.

It looks like I missed a nice opportunity to pick up more shares around $10 back in July 2006 when the whole market was dropping and I thought the shares might go even lower. This company has gone through a bunch of ups and downs over the last couple of years. The current guidance looks good and the shares have been doing well since the JUly 25th earnings report. However I really don't know if this is as good as it gets or if this is merely a prelude to greater growth and profitability down the road.

I took a look at the 3 year weekly chart and it looks like FLEX might be on the verge of breaking out of the downtrend since early 2004. Here is a link to the chart:

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=FLEX&p=W&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&id=p52962699566

The 260 week moving average is now at $13.08 - any close above that line would be positive in my opinion. There may even be a head and shoulders formation with a neckline around $12 - if that is accurate then the shares should be heading to $15. (I hope my lack of confidence in these predictions shows. I don't currently hold any shares.)

There is not much discussion of FLEX on these boards and I think that instead of rushing out to buy some shares I am going to enter it as a selection on the new "Caps" service and see how it does. I have heard a lot of good things about Hon-Hai Precision Industries but as far as I know it is not offered as an ADR on a US exchange. I think the best bet for me right now would be to buy into some sort of exchange traded fund that concentrated on this industry and that also included a nice percentage of Hon-Hai in the protfolio...

Hope this helps,

JT :-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement