Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hello to all,

I have a couple friends who want to give me money to invest. Can anyone give me some pointers on the legal implications of this?

1) Any comments on whether I need licenses (used to have series 6 & 63, now lapsed)

You may need licenses. This is regulated at the state level. If you do need a license, a Series 6 license is not sufficient for investing directly in stocks.

2) I would be taxed at my marginal rate, and the friends are content with me taking 30%/15% of the top of short/long term gains. Aslong as everyone fills out gift tax forms for the IRS, is there any other taxable implications?

They're not giving you a gift...or if they are, it's a gift of the total investment principal and you are giving them a gift back of their net proceeds. Proceeding down this path will ultimately chew up all of your unified credits and subject your estates to unnecessary taxation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.