UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: econstas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Help! Date: 6/23/2004 5:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am 29yrs old and I realize at the rate I am going I will work the rest of my life. I want to retire at 50.

I want to invest $100 a week into something. Right now, my 401k is 28k. I hear I can invest in index funds and stocks.

Questions:
What books would be good for me to read?
I am now reading Investing for Dummies.

Need your Help,
Stratis
Print the post Back To Top
Author: babyfrog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41271 of 76418
Subject: Re: Help! Date: 6/23/2004 8:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Stratis,

A textbook that I read for my financial planning courses that has been very instrumental in my defining my investment strategy is "Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management" by Frank K. Reilly and Keith C. Brown.

It is a textbook, and as such, it is a bit difficult to read large chunks in one sitting. It is an excellent reference book, though, and it will expose you to several different investment theories, from EMH (Efficient Market Hypothesis) to individual security analysis to asset allocation, etc.

"The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham (see http://www.bufferstock.org/graham.htm ) can give you a great background to investing, from one of the foremost value investors of all time.

And, most importantly of all, take a look at http://www.freeedgar.com or another free SEC filings web site, and read through the 10-Q filings of a few companies to see if the work necessary to perform individual securities analysis is something up your alley.

Best of luck to you,
-Chuck

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41274 of 76418
Subject: Re: Help! Date: 6/23/2004 8:44 AM
Recommendations: 2
Welcome Stratis -

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people; who earn their living answering the question(s) you have. The bad news is this - if a really good answer existed way over half these people would be out of business. There are a few points that I would suggest you will find fairly wide agreement on.

#1 At age 29, you are starting early enough.
#2 Stocks generally have the ability over the long haul to keep up with inflation and maybe a little more. Bonds over the long haul may keep up with inflation. This is important.
#3 You are the only one who can decide how much risk you want. Many people feel they do not mind risk when the market is rising only to find in a period like 2001 they really do not want a high or medium risk set of investments.
#4 At least initially, given your age, start with index or carefully selected mutual funds. There is nothing like having money invested to help you follow something. If you have options for investing, read up on these in Morningstar at your library or on the WWW.
#5 If your employer has a match try very hard to maximize that match.
#6 In all probablity your financial situation will improve faster, if you pay off any existing credit card debit before you get too excited about other investments. (almost no investments pay the approx 18% that credit card debt costs)

Gordon
Atlanta

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement