UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pfdoherty Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75527  
Subject: Help find me an Index Fund for 401(k) Date: 1/16/2000 11:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello: My company's 401(k) plan has a "brokerage" option allowing us to go outside the normal "menu" of funds to invest our 401(k) contributions. Can someone offer some advice as to some of the best Index Funds available? Thank you very, very much -- Paul
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gtstarling Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17896 of 75527
Subject: Re: Help find me an Index Fund for 401(k) Date: 1/17/2000 12:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hello pfdoherty and welcome:

You wrote:

My company's 401(k) plan has a "brokerage" option allowing us to go outside the normal "menu" of funds to invest our 401(k) contributions. Can someone offer some advice as to some of the best Index Funds available? Thank you very, very much

Try vanguard.com for information on their funds. They practically wrote the book on index funds. Their S&P 500 Index Fund VFINX is probably the best index fund available. If the fund is truly tracking the index, the thing that makes one fund better than another is the cost - and Vanguard management fees are only 18 cents on $100 of invested value - with no loads.

Best wishes,

Gemstarman

Author: gtstarling Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17897 of 75527
Subject: Re: Help find me an Index Fund for 401(k) Date: 1/17/2000 12:04 AM
You might not be able to get Vanguard through a brokerage account. In that case, try Fidelity. I understand their S&P 500 index is also very economical.

Author: Chipsboss Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17898 of 75527
Subject: Re: Help find me an Index Fund for 401(k) Date: 1/17/2000 12:14 AM
Recommendations: 1
for Paul:

Here are a couple of possibilities for your consideration. Your choice depends on your goals and tolerance for risk, of course.

I've got most of my money in Vanguard Index 500 http://majestic2.vanguard.com/FP/DA/0.1.vgi_FProfileSnapshot/199140238317000310/19920.3650?FUND_ID=0040&ChtDspAvgAnnlRtns=T

"The fund holds all of the 500 stocks that make up the unmanaged Standard & Poor's 500 Composite Stock Price Index, a widely recognized benchmark of U.S. stock market performance, in proportion to their weighting in the index. The fund attempts to match the performance of the index and remains fully invested in stocks at all times. Its management does not speculate on the direction of the index."

I heard John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard, interviewed on TV yesterday. He recommends Vanguard's fund that tracks the Wilshire 5000. It's at

http://majestic2.vanguard.com/FP/DA/0.1.vgi_FProfileSnapshot/199140238317000310?FUND_ID=0085&ChtDspAvgAnnlRtns=T

"The fund attempts to match the investment results of the Wilshire 5000 Equity Index, an unmanaged index that covers all regularly traded U.S. stocks."

Regards,

Chips

Author: pfdoherty Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17923 of 75527
Subject: Re: Help find me an Index Fund for 401(k) Date: 1/17/2000 10:29 PM
Hello Everyone! -- I sincerely thank each one of you who responded so quickly and so kindly to my request. I have never posted a message on one of these "boards" (and had a hard time finding where to look for the answer!), so I want to truly thank all my anonymous on-line counterparts for your input. Thanks again, -- Paul (pfdoherty@mindsprin.com)

Author: Gglass555 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17959 of 75527
Subject: Re: Help find me an Index Fund for 401(k) Date: 1/18/2000 10:40 PM
Hello: My company's 401(k) plan has a "brokerage" option allowing us to go outside the normal "menu" of funds to invest our 401(k) contributions. Can someone offer some advice as to some of the best Index Funds available? Thank you very, very much -- Paul
*******************************************************Vanguard has a very comprehensive web site (www.vanguard.com) loaded with free useful information, but the fastest way to obtain a prospectus is to call the company directly at 1-800-662-7447.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement