Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mrbrolun One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Help!! Girlfriend kept no records! Date: 3/23/2003 5:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sorry for the length of this post.

I'm trying to help my girlfriend with her taxes, and I'm running into some problems. I'm relatively new to investing, haven just gotten out of debt a couple years ago, but I keep a record of everything I buy, when I buy it, and what my cost basis was.

She's been investing since she was really young, and doesn't have any records. In addition to this, she just "got rid" of her broker (I'm not sure what she did, all I know is she now has posession of her stock certificates) because they were charging her a hefty quarterly maintenance fee.

I've got two (well, three) questions, and I would really appreciate some help:

1. She's got these stock certificates. There's no way for her to buy/sell anything unless she opens and account with a broker, correct? So, I'm thinking I should advise her to open an account with a discount brokerage firm and transfer the certificates to them.

2. It looks like her old broker was routinely selling stock in order to generate the cash for her quarterly fees. Also, there are some mysterious random sales, as well as liquidation of fractional shares on the last statement she received from her old broker. So, I think there are some gains that she needs to report.

She didn't buy all at once, rather she invested over a period of time, and it appears that she re-invested dividends as well. When I'm figuring her cost basis for the shares that were sold, can I pick which purchase-times/costs I want to use, or do I need to combine them all for an average cost basis? Due to the dividend-reinvestment, she has some short-term and some long-term holdings. Do I need to use the short-term rate before the long-term rate, or can I choose that as well?

3. Also, am I correct in thinking that you don't need to pay capital gains tax on dividends that you re-invest?

Any advice you could offer would really help me (us) out.

Thanks!
Matt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement